Control Freak Front K Member

-

CanadianGT

Reaction score
Hey guys just thought I'd post up a warning about the new supplier for he Mr. Norms GSS Dart's. They bought a front K member from a different supplier(RMS Alterktion) and copied it for their car. Now they've put it into production. Just wanted to warn anyone looking at the Control Freak system to do a search on the net about them on chevy and ford forums they're reputation says stay away because of their cheap copies of other people systems.

While there is nothing wrong with copying a good already proven system as long as it is not patented. This is something wrong with substandard copies though. Have you seen one of these copies yet and know for sure if they are substandard?

Chuck

I don't think it's right to copy even if there isn't a patent. Especially if they copied exact dimensions from alterkation. There is alot of work in getting something like that off the drawing board onto a car. For A company like CF to steal his design is BS!! I know I won't buy from CF if it's true!!
Now if it's just someone doing it on their own and not in business and wants to share, That is a different story.

If you want to protect something it needs to be patented. It's OK to copy something from a private person unless it is a business? wow. It is not stealing if it is not patented, period.

It may not be "right" for some including you, but if it is not patented it is their right to copy it.

Chuck

Actually you can still steal something even if it is patented. All you need to do is change a dimension by even an 1/8" which is why Bill never had his product patented. I heard from Bill Reilly Himself the owner and founder of RMS saw it at SEMA and said it's easy to predict with anything more then grandma driven a-bodies that it will break.

It requires more than 1/8" in measure to get your own patent on something. It actually has to be quite of bit different or it will be denied. Been there done that, it is a lot of work and money to get something patented. This is the main reason people don't get their items patented. I was going to patented a funnel for a radiator that doesn't "glug" back at you when you fill it but it would have cost to me too much money. Most people will take the chance on the copying and get as much revenue as they can before it gets copied. Plus if it does get copied it is usually junk so it ends up selling more for the originator in the long run.

Chuck

My brother in law has the AlterKtion and it is outstanding. Here is a little posting from BBD that explains everything on how this came to be. Very interesting reading and another reason to show that Bill Reilly is all class.
Click Here

As usual I share the same view as AbodyJoe

As usual I share the same view as AbodyJoe

lol.. not sure if that is good or bad...

even though it is an obvious copy i don't see bill (rms) having a problem... RMS has an awesome reputation and even better customer service. that is something that makes a huge difference. if anyone here has ever called and talked to bill you know what i mean.. even if your not buying anything he will talk to you for an hour and explain the answers to your question.. even after he ha you money from a sale the customer service is awesome...

i could see if the CF set up was half the price that maybe it would take sales away but it looks to be in the same neighborhood price wise and i know for sure i will go with the original product that is proven and that i have never heard anything bad about over a new comer that obviously lacks the imagination and ability to build his own set up....

and don't get me started on that clown Mr. Norm... he may have been the man back in the day but now he is just trying to cash in on his out dated name trying to get $150,000 for a not so special dart.. i mean come on. look at his new darts.. they aren't really that nice.

I have yet to buy the Alter-K, but I will buy that when I do, not some lame copy. Everyone tries to copy the original and "improve" upon it to make some cash. Look how many attempts Toyota has made trying to copy and "improve" the F-150. Look at all the "improved" copies of Edelbrock manifolds on Ebay. Look how many other products are copied from others whether it be beer, cars, clothes, tools or houses. I'd rather have the real deal myself, especially when it's the same price.

I'm too young to know anything about Mr. Norm, but he looks like an old fool that got a hard-on when he thought about Chip Foose's bank account/star status.

Everyone tries to copy the original and "improve" upon it to make some cash.

that would be fine if it was actually an improvement somewhere in the design..

and as far as Mr.Norm goes.. yes he was the man back in the day but now he is just trying to make a quick buck by sticking his name on a not so special dart that they are trying to ge $150,000 for..

-
Back