Convert 1968 Dodge Dart 2wire alternator to 1wire Tuff Stuff TFF-8509DDP

-

Fitz68

Reaction score
Hello all. I know this is an old topic but being a newb (one that particularly disdains electrical!) I wanted to get some advice on this conversion. About a year ago I installed a red top battery in my 68 dodge dart GT and last week I wound up on the side of the road with a completely dead battery. Knowing the battery is good I've decided to upgrade my stock alternator to the Tuff Stuff TFF-8509ddp high output 100 amp 1wire alternator. Admittedly, I'm unsure of how to handle the wiring. I have read several threads regarding whether or not to swich to one wire and bypass, etc. Right now I'm just trying to get from their diagram to what they actually sent me to how I would install this in my dart. I only drive it once every few weeks for 20-30 miles.

The first pic is from my engine bay. Pretty simple with the main wire at the bottom and the green wire clipped onto the back. (negative?)

The second pic is an image of the instructions they sent me on top of the actual alternator. They don't match.

Can anyone help me navigate how to get from the actual alternator back to my dart's two wires? I don't know why the actual alternator has the red, green and yellow wire attached to the little metal box piece that is NOT in the picture they provided.

alternator 1.JPG

alternator 2.JPG

You are creating "a mess" LOL in no particular order:

1...FIRST issue is IF YOUR CAR has not had the charging wire circuit upgraded, there is NO WAY I'd put more than 50A on there. Start by reading this:

Catalog

2....Next, "generally" I am kinda against "one wire" setups for a fw reasons. One is that they require MUCH larger charging wires, because the voltage sensing is RIGHT AT the alternator, so any voltage drop in the charging circuit will drop system voltage

3....On the other hand, the "big" thing wrong with the original field/ regulator circuit (not the charging wire circuit) is that there is TYPICALLY voltage drop in the circuit path from the battery on the road through several connections........to the regulator IGN terminal. This is not only the power for the regulator/ field, it is ALSO voltage sensing. Here, a voltage drop in the harness will cause OVER charging (over voltage)

4.....Something I don't care too much about what you bought is that regulator (the "little box") is an AFTERMARKET piece and no parts store I've ever seen carries them.

"What to do?"

It appears that the "little box" on your new unit CONVERTS the old style alternator to a "one wire" setup "I guess." Please provide a link to the seller and the specs. Isn't there hookup destructions?

So "likely" the easiest way here is to upgrade your charging wire and hook the new one up. I would guess all you need to do with the "push on" blue and green wires is unhook them and safe them off, and unplug the old regulator

"Crackedback" on here sells a jumper that bypasses the ammeter circuit.

-
Back