Convert Manual to Automatic VB

-

hoosierdaddy

Reaction score
Is it possible to convert a manual VB to automatic . I'm talking about physically converting the manual VB in hand to auto , not swapping . I can't seem to find any answer on the inter web .

If it's an aftermarket, like a Cope, Cheetah,etc., I don't think so. If it would happen to be a Trans-Go TF3 stick shift kit, then, yes. Can be converted back to auto.

What are you looking for? Forward pattern, fully automatic?

I have a stock VB along with my Cheetah and I was just wondering if it was a simple procedure to convert the Cheetah to automatic vs manual .

If you want auto shift, why not just put the stock vb back in. Possibly put a shift kit in it. And sell the mvb to some one who wants it. The TA Cheetah MVBs aren't cheap and it would be silly to ruin one trying to mod it for auto shift.

I was asking about the conversion out of curiosity . I'm not going to modify the Cheetah but if I didn't have a stock VB it would be nice to know if you could convert what you have in hand . A little knowledge might save you some dollars . I did find a factory 727 VB on FB that claims it has been converted to manual .

It's been awhile since I've looked this over, but I'm sure there are modifications to the VB or at least the plate whatever it's called---drilled orifices. I'm going to say "no."

Personally, I've always thought a better question is, "where are the headwaters" for MVB conversion? "Back in the day" we didn't have Cope, Trans-go, all the rest. SOMEBODY sat down and modified them. SOMEWHERE in dusty old books and drawings there surely is the beginnings of this

It's been awhile since I've looked this over, but I'm sure there are modifications to the VB or at least the plate whatever it's called---drilled orifices. I'm going to say "no."

Personally, I've always thought a better question is, "where are the headwaters" for MVB conversion? "Back in the day" we didn't have Cope, Trans-go, all the rest. SOMEBODY sat down and modified them. SOMEWHERE in dusty old books and drawings there surely is the beginnings of this
I believe the old DC chassis manual I got in the 80s described how to convert the auto to manual. I will have to see if I can find it.

^^Seems to me they required a special Direct Connection or MP plate for the VB. That's all I've been able to find, anyhow, is articles that specify some performance VB plate, not how to actually modify a stocker without special parts^^

If that is not the case I'd LOVE to read it

^^Seems to me they required a special Direct Connection or MP plate for the VB. That's all I've been able to find, anyhow, is articles that specify some performance VB plate, not how to actually modify a stocker without special parts^^

If that is not the case I'd LOVE to read it
You are correct Sir. And different plates for different vb's. By the mid 80's, some were already discoed. I'm sure they're all unavailable now.
mvb 002.JPG
mvb 003.JPG

To the OP: if you haven't already, try the Cheetah, you might like it.
mvb 006.JPG

Yup, there it is. I'm sure that at some point SOMEBODY redrilled what they had. So many of these guys no longer around. We just recently lost Steve Griner. I didn't know him, but knew of some of his products

The separator plate is quite different for the rmvb, u can’t make a stock 1 work. U have to remove a few valves also.Better off to use the TF-3 kit for a foreword manual shift. Kim

-
Back