Convert to power steer

-

JimMac

Reaction score
I am new here and am restoring a 1965 Valiant custom 100 Convert. What do I need to change to Power steering? The car is totally dismantled so a good time to do this.

You'll need the steering column (or swap the shorter power-steering steering shaft into your existing column), the steering gearbox, power steering pump and brackets, and either the belt sheave that bolts onto the front of your original crankshaft pulley, or the truck-duty 3-sheave crank pulley (assuming you have a Slant-6 engine).

Donor columns depend on what kind of transmission and shifter your car has. If you've got 3-on-the-tree, then it's '63-'66 Dart/Valiant/Barracuda with power steer and 3-on-the-tree.

If it's 4-on-the-floor or floor-shift automatic, then it's '63-'64 Dart/Valiant/Barracuda with power steer and automatic plus '64-'66 Dart/Valiant/Barracuda with power steer and 4-on-the-floor or floor-shift automatic.

If it's column-shift automatic, then it's '65 Dart/Valiant/Barracuda only.

There's a wide variety of power steering pumps and brackets. The brackets and pumps from '70-up Slant-6s will bolt onto the engine, but will put the power steering pump into the battery pan.

Power steering gearbox interchange is '62-'72 A- and B-body. Get a good one, not a parts store "remanufactured" piece of junk. Sources for good boxes include Red Head, Steer & Gear, and Firm Feel.

Depending on the condition of your steering shaft-to-gearbox coupler, you may need to replace it.

Research the history of bolt holes in early A-body K member where the steering gear mounts. Do all you can to ensure the steering gear stays in place. Good luck

I should have the pulley from a 74 /6 sold the brackets a few weeks ago.

Thanks it is a slant 6 and automatic with column shift. I guess I need to start hunting which is hard to do in Campbell River.

You can swap the shorter steering shaft from any '63-'66 A-body with power steering into your existing steering column.

-
Back