Converter Ballooning?

-

wazoo64

Reaction score
Ever heard of it? It looks like my old converter was swelling and blew out the thrust bearings...brand new Scat crank dusted. Big horsepower seems to create big problems...
I am conflicted between a new Dynamic converter and TCI.

normally happens with nitrous. you can get nitrous converters or anti-ballooning to be correct

Been there, done that. Rebuilt a 440 and 727 after a cheap converter went. I would stay away from a TCI converter though.

Been there, done that. Rebuilt a 440 and 727 after a cheap converter went. I would stay away from a TCI converter though.

Adam
Why do you say no on TCI? Do you have a better converter to suggest? I sent some specs to Dynamic because I heard they were good but no response from them.

all my buddys' around here run PTC convertors. which work really well and good prices. not sure what I have in my car bought it used and has held up well believe its a trans king. Get one with the anti-balloning plate or a billet plate.

happened to my w-150 ram. thrust surface on crang wasted, if you reved the engine you could see the crank move forward .5-.75"

Ordered a converter from Dynamic today. They suggested 10 inch with antiballooning plate. 3800-4000 flash stall which I thought was high but they convinced me it would do well for street driving. Should be interesting to see the difference when running a high quality converter.

A 3800-4000 stall is high for the street isn,t it?Let us know how you make out with it?

That's what I thought but Sean at Dynamic says it is going to run fine and if I ever want to do a hard launch it will really rip.
I also was concerned about running it with the overdrive unit and he said that will not be a problem either.
I am putting faith in the fact they do this for a living and will set me up right. Fingers crossed.

I've had my 8" 4000 stall Coan convertor for 5 years now and it has been great. Jayson

-
Back