converter help fast answer needed

-

tekslk

Reaction score
We are working on a 86 ram van transmission. its a 727 putting it in a 340 engine, I think its lockup but didnt pull it yet. If it is what converter can I use? Does it take 24 spline? I dont care about the lockup just so its useable.

I believe the input splines are different, so if it's a "lockup" tranny you'll need a lockup converter - you can't just throw a non-lockup converter in there. The early lockup tranny's were hydraulically controlled. There were no electronics.

Here's some additional info I found:

Non lockup 727 transmissions from 1967 onward have 24 splines.
Lockup 727 transmissions that debuted in 1978 had 23 splines. Not all 727 transmissions made after 1978 were lockup; specifically towing package 727 transmissions commonly were non lockup, and would have the
'67 onward 24*spline input shaft. The A 518 overdrive also has 23 splines. The output shaft has 29 splines.

Picture is for a 904 but will help for quick ID.

Attachments

• lockup.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 106
I agree - lock-up converters must go with lock-up trans. Not sure why it won't work, but it won't. Lock-up transmissions have a machined end on the input shaft. Non-lock-up are splined all the way to the tip.

Also, if the 340 has a cast crank/externally balanced, you'll need the correct B&M flexplate to use with a neutral converter in a compatible trans.

Well I guess we pull the tranny first so we no for sure what we are dealing with. Pray fornon lock up.

-
Back