Converter issues

-

63dartman

Reaction score
Well. I had a previous post about damaging my converter and needing a new one. I walked in the shop and told them I wanted about a 2200 to 2500 stall and it is almost always street driven. My setup is a 63 dart with a 360 10:1 spitfire headers, magnum eq heads, 2 1/2 inch exhaust into magnaflow performance mufflers, 3.23 gears in a 489 posi. Well, this is what they sold me: PP-1202
Brand: Chrysler
Model: CHRYSLER TF-6
Stall: 3300-3500
Family: COMPETITION
Size: 10"
Bolt Pattern: 10"
Engine: 225, 318, 383, & Forged Crank Engines
Brazed Impeller: YES
Brazed Turbine: YES
Bearings: 3
Washers: 0
Diode Stator: NO
Balloon Plates: 1
Notes: 27 SPLINE WITH RINGEAR.
Needless to say I am not happy with the results. A guy told me I would lose about a 1000 on the stall hooked up to a smallblock so I thought that 2200 to 2500 would be suitable for driving around town and such. It did not lose the thousand and now driving is not so much fun. The damn converter is still stalling when I'm cruising about 40 and drop down in to 2nd. I just don't think it's suitable for street driving. I know I should of asked here first......You would think I would have learned something with all the mistakes I've made. So I need to grab a cheap converter to throw in and was looking at the mopar perfrmance converter from mancini's. P4876805AB 145K Econo Torque Converter (1967-92 A-904) 1900-2100 stall. Will this converter give an edge over stock and still work for me? I don't have the money to sink into a custom application from dynamic or others.

I don't have the money to sink into a custom application from dynamic or others.

I would start saving my money a little at a time to get the custom. There's no way a out of box converter will out perform a custom built converter IMHO. I've seen and heard to many "Damn I wished I had got this converter long time ago!" The down fall to this is that people don't know that they can have a better converter that will perform much better. They will never know until they get the junk out of the trunk. They will say " Oh well I bought my (name brand) converter at Summit and it works just fine!" I to could never afford a custom application converter and went the "out of box" route so I can't shout to loud. BUT if I spend a bunch of money on my motor,axles, rear end,transmission you bet I will do the same for the converter.

Thanks Mullinax, I know the optimum setup would be the custom and I will probably go that route at the end of the year with the help of my annual bonus. I just need something for now that is not going to burn up my transmission because it's slipping so bad. You have to remember that I was running a stock 904 converter prior to this. Will I see any kind of improvement with the mopar converter?

I would start saving my money a little at a time to get the custom. There's no way a out of box converter will out perform a custom built converter IMHO.

. . . BUT if I spend a bunch of money on my motor,axles, rear end,transmission you bet I will do the same for the converter.

Give Dynamic a call and talk to them. I talked at length to their tech rep and we discussed just about every aspect of my proposed build (65 Dart wagon w/340 & 904 (which they built for me also), 2.94 (possibly 3.23s) rear end gears, tire size, manifolds, carbs, yada yada. I thought the price was reasonable for a custom converter that he said would seem like a stock converter (so wife could drive it) but look out when you put your foot into it IIRC I think I've got about a thou in the converter AND transmission with beefed up internals and other goodies.

Your gear is not low enough for that stall.Put in a 391 gear or lower.If you do not want to do that you will have to change the stall again. Jim

Thanks for the help guys. I may just give them a call and see what the damage will be. My wife just quit her job this week so we are in thrifty mode:)The converter from dynamic sounds like it's just what I'm after though.

Thanks for the help guys. I may just give them a call and see what the damage will be. My wife just quit her job this week so we are in thrifty mode:)The converter from dynamic sounds like it's just what I'm after though.

What is it about these woman that up and quit their job especially the way the economy has been acting? ALWAYS, ALWAYS have a job before quitting the other! My ex was in and out of jobs like crazy and would put a hurting on us. I'm glad she's gone now. I don't have to worry about bills, and can spend more money on the car in which I have spent about $13,000 on it now and I'm not done LOL!

There are "loose" designed converters and their are "tight" designed converters. Sounds like you got a loose one that made more for racing than street driving. I have a PTC 3000 stall in mine and it drives pretty much like a stock converter but when I stop and torque it up it stalls right up to near 3000 (I think it'd go to 3,000 but my brakes won't hold it so I can only get 2800-2900 out of it).

What 68383gts said is true if the converters a loose design. I've known of several guys running tight designed converters with tall gears an not rev wildly like you described yours.

The MP converters are ok at best. There are many others out there better. The PTC I have only cost $250 and it works great. Got it from Cope racing. Your best bet is too call several top converter makers and get recommendations and prices. Don't call converter dealers unless it's a very highly respected establishment like CRT or Andrews Racing, or A&A trans. or similiar. Most dealers don't really know squat about the stuff they sell. Only talk to the mfg. and get their suggestions then call a dealer and tell them what you want.

-
Back