Converters on an old Mopar?

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
I've been approached and asked if its possible to put the new universal catalytic converters on a dual exhaust early Mopar to cut down on the "fumes" from the exhaust............ ?

I know the smell can be a bit rich for someone who isn't used to it.........I don't know what to say about it..........

Can someone cut down emissions by adding a couple of the small cats on a classic Mopar? I know it would probably shave performance too, and maybe screw up the natural aspiration in some adverse ways...........

What can you guys say about such an idea?

Cat(s) can be added to reduce CO emissions but if the problem is a bad smell they may do nothing for that. Most I have seen that stink when running are actually running lean. If your car has a large cam the overlap can make matters worse because it isn't very efficient at idle.

If you are running rich, deal with that first. Cats will do a lot to burn off the excess hydrocarbons in exhaust, but if you are running stinking rich you will overheat and destroy them. At $100+ each that could get expensive quick.

Well, I've seen and heard the car run and don't notice any really "rich" burning problems........it's just that "old" vs "new" emission that they're asking about.

The car doesn't smoke, either oil or when romping the pedal. Pipes are a medium black at the tips...not bad at all. The complaint comes from crusing with windows down, or in slow cruises where exhaust smell is a factor, or when starting the car up in the garage......Some of these cats are really small now......seems that if the smell was a big factor (normal odor) that they might help a bit..............

Not sure if a Cat will produce the results they want because it's job is to reduce CO emissions. CO emissions are odorless so if it's a bad smell problem it may not solve that problem but at least it would be less toxic. Do they have full length exhaust and no leaks? Even a small exhaust leak came find it's way into the cockpit. I can't even start my wife's brand new G6 up in the garage without smelling exhaust so tell them to open all the doors when running it in the garage.

If they smell exhaust when they are driving, they have body or exhaust issues and cleaning it up only means they can't smell how much CO they are inhaling while they drive. NOT GOOD. You cannot tune the car by the tailpipes, so my advice would eb to have them concentrate on tuning the car VERY well, timing curve and carburetor, and it will more than likely go away. But they should fix whereever is leaking and letting the gasses into the cabin.

If your hood-to-cowl seal is missing you will also likely get more fumes from the engine compartment making their way into the car.

Well, I've seen and heard the car run and don't notice any really "rich" burning problems........it's just that "old" vs "new" emission that they're asking about.

The car doesn't smoke, either oil or when romping the pedal. Pipes are a medium black at the tips...not bad at all. The complaint comes from crusing with windows down, or in slow cruises where exhaust smell is a factor, or when starting the car up in the garage......Some of these cats are really small now......seems that if the smell was a big factor (normal odor) that they might help a bit..............

I don't think running it in the garage is a good idea either. lol

-
Back