Convertible Door Braces

-

Cudainashed

Reaction score
I am getting ready to replace the floor in my 68 Barracuda and I am interested in seeing how people built their door braces and how they braced their bodies before removing their floors.

I just used a x brace for the floor pans on the hardtop(door stiker/latch to opposite door lower hings mounting bolts), but on the convertible I made sure to use a V style brace going from the door striker/latch area to the top of the pillar post and the bottom section from the striker/latch to the top hinge bolts . that kept the windshield in alignment with the door opening the X brace was only when I flipped the car on it's side to remove bad metal.
since my torque boxes were solid I didn't notice any extra flexing of the body once I put in the V brace.

it seems I can only find some of the V brace pic's hmmmmm
View attachment DSCF2058.jpg

View attachment DSCF1961.jpg

View attachment DSCF2068.jpg

I didn't use anything on my '65 Valiant vert when I removed the floors...left it on the wheels too. The floor pans don't give any support front to back...its all in the rocker panels. I put a mint original, complete floor pan from another car into mine.

See pics...

Attachments

• 65ABodyVertRockerReinforcement1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 335
  • 65ABodyVertRockerReinforcement2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 353
  • 65ValFlrOut.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 356
When I did my 67 Barracuda I just did one section at a time L/F, R/F, L/R, R/R never had a problem the doors were still on it the hole time never have a problem

I mounted mine similar to what you did...BUT, I mounted them on the inside of the car/door frame not on the door frame/ hinge as you did. Doing this allows the doors to still be mounted on the car and if low enough allows the door handles to remain on and not interfere with the bar.

Attachments

• 104_0092.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 316
  • 104_0091.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_0232.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 325
Wow, you guys in Canada really get creative when it comes to rust repair. I don't see it much living in California but I did grow up in Detroit and that's where I got introduced to Bondo.

I just used a x brace for the floor pans on the hardtop(door stiker/latch to opposite door lower hings mounting bolts), but on the convertible I made sure to use a V style brace going from the door striker/latch area to the top of the pillar post and the bottom section from the striker/latch to the top hinge bolts . that kept the windshield in alignment with the door opening the X brace was only when I flipped the car on it's side to remove bad metal.
since my torque boxes were solid I didn't notice any extra flexing of the body once I put in the V brace.

it seems I can only find some of the V brace pic's hmmmmm
View attachment 1714717895

View attachment 1714717896

View attachment 1714717897

Can you post some pictures of how you attached to the rear of the door opening on the convertible?

Thanks

Can you post some pictures of how you attached to the rear of the door opening on the convertible?

Thanks
Sure can. they're not really good ones since I didn't think about taking pic's of the setup though. basically I welded a 3 or 4 inch section of 3" angle iron onto the square tubing and used the latch as a pattern for drilling the holes to screw it into. I even used the door latch screws to mount the back piece to the door jamb.
here they are. you should be able to blow em up enough to see what I did
if the rockers are in good shape all you need are the door braces, since the rockers really do carry all the stress of the car.(convertibles only:D)
View attachment DSCF1387.jpg

View attachment DSCF2077.jpg

View attachment DSCF2080.jpg

the front square tubing was mounted the same way for the top hinge mount. I used the bottom hinge mounts for an X type brace that ran just above the hump in the floor pan and welded a clamp to lock it to the rear section of the door brace angle iron. I only used that when I flipped the car upside down. hope this helps.

Can anyone get me measurement or know any sort of diagram with measurements. I'm looking to push my passenger side door/ rear quarter back out. Car got tapped on the right side before I got it. It's not really bad but it is noticeable and catches the door on closing and opening. Just need the correct side to side and x pattern measurements. Thanks guys.

-
Back