Convertible top and Classic Industries

-

67dart_drop_top

Reaction score
Anyone replace a convertible top? I would not mind giving it a shot, but i would like to know the difficulty level. I am really good at following directions, but I am a big fan of good directions. However, I also find a lot of times that little helpful hints are not included.

I am going to be doing a lot of research on this, but I am starting with the source I check in with daily. That is yall, and thanks in advance if you can help.

Also, if it looks like I should be getting this done by a pro, what can I expect to pay?

I am getting a 20% discount at Classic Industries. Anyone have any experience with them that they would like to share?

The promotion code is JSC2012 if anyone is interested. It lasts until Monday midnight.

I replaced the soft top on my 69 Dart this fall. One day to disassemble the top. One day to install the stay pads. I did all this in one weekend.
It took me 5 days to get the rear window curtain installed without wrinkles across the bottom.
It took me 7 weekends to install the soft top without wrinkles where it meets the quarter panels, and I still have one wrinkle that I can't live with, so it will have to come apart at least one more time before spring. As of this writing, I have close to 70 hours into the top replacement, but this was the first time I've ever done anything like this before.
Only thing I can recommend is using an air ratchet with a compressor to remove/install the rear tack strips across the back. These tack strips have to be installed & removed several times to position the material onto them, and I can't imagine doing all 25 bolts by hand.
Would I do it again? Well, maybe, now that I have done one it might be a little easier. If I could go back in time and know what I was up against would I do it for the first time? **** NO!
In the future, if I was considering buying a convertible.............if it needs a top, no deal. Way too damned much time involved, and lots of swear words.

I was quoted between $650 and $750 for the installation only if I bought all the parts myself. I didn't have the money for that, so I did it myself.

Now, I'm no rocket scientist but I'm a pretty smart guy with a lot of skills, and this job almost broke my spirit.
It can be done at home, and if you have any ability beyond basic skills, you can install it yourself. Just keep in mind it will NOT be fun, and it will take many hours.

Good Luck my bruther.

George

When I had to replace the torn and ripped top on my 65 Coronet, I followed the instructions in the FSM step by step and it turned out great. One issue I had was a rust hole in the header panel - nothing a little metalwork couldn't handle. Other than repairing the rust hole I would say R & R of the top took just about a weekend. No pics - the car is long gone.

When it came time to replace the top on my 82 LeBaron, I did it myself after getting quotes in the $1500 range… Yeah, I smelled rip-off.

After reading a lot on the web, renting a DIY video on top installing, and having done some upholstery work, I did the install. It ain’t rocket science, but is fussy slow work if it is to look good when finished. The video was a big help showing all the tricks, and importance to document existing measurements during top removal.

You will need a pneumatic staple gun, electric & hand units won’t cut it. If you aren’t the fussy type, with super human patients this may not be the job for you. By the way, the second top replacement goes a lot smoother.

where did you get the diy video? was it specific for your car? i can usually find something on youtube, but not for anything close to a 67 dart. i would have settled for pre-73 chrysler product; however, i am still looking.

where did you get the diy video? was it specific for your car? i can usually find something on youtube, but not for anything close to a 67 dart. i would have settled for pre-73 chrysler product; however, i am still looking.

The quality of top you purchase will also make a difference. I haven't done mine yet but do plan on doing it with a real glass rear window. That seems to be the first failure area on quality tops. On cheap tops the sail panel area seems to the the first failure area. This is based on what I have observed in Oklahoma weather.

-
Back