Convertible Top Pump Fluid?? 1963 Valiant

-
Reaction score
Hi folks - new to working on convertible parts...so bear with me.
The pump struggles mightily to raise the convertible top on my 1963 Plymouth Valiant 200 Convertible. Not sure if the pump motor is low on fluid and will check that tomorrow, or top cylinder(s) are shot??
Real question is what did they use back in 1963 for fluid?? Transmission fluid or Brake Fluid??
Thanks

I think all convertibles use 20W hydrolic oil.

Thanks for the response - this is what I found on a mfg'ers site....
"Most cars 1967 and newer use automatic transmission fluid, from 1962-67 they may have used either automatic transmission fluid or brake fluid. Brake fluid can be detected by its pungent odor and transmission fluid smells more like oil. Pre 1962 cars almost always came with brake fluid"

So that's why I'm asking....

Don't use brake fluid if you have plastic lines from the pump to the cylinders. Brake fluid will eat the plastic over time. Automatic transmission fluid, sans red dye, is the same stuff most cars from the '60's were filled with from the factory. I asked a service rep from Hy-Dro-Electric about this subject for my '67 Fury convertible, and was told to use Dex-Merc trans fluid.

OK. Personally, I wouldn't use brake fluid even if that's what the owners manual recommended. I dont like the stuff at all. It generates rust, removes paint, tastes bad, drys skin, etc, etc. I wouldn't even use it in my brakes if there was a substitute.

Transmission fluid is 20W hydrolic oil. It's color and odor comes from the high temp additives, friction modifiers, and detergents in it.
Your top system doesn't need that crap no more than your floor jack does.
There is some info on refilling the system, not exactly a working link. Google should find it.
Tips - Cylinders & Pumps - Hydro-E-Lectric.htm
Good luck

Sounds like tranny fluid is the way to go....tho I do think I have some hydro fluid left from refilling my leaking floor jack:finga:
Thanks - I found the hydrolectric site - very similar to the other site I pirated the previous info from.
TGIF 2morro :blob:

Rusted, dry, stiff and bent top iron hinge and pivots will cause pump to labor. Low fluid level will cause poor top action as well by not equally moving both pistons causing binding or top irons.

One thing you can do is disconnect top of hydraulic piston from top irons, and operate the top by hand. This will quickly show any pivot, slip joints, and hinge points that are stiff needing some cleaning and lubrication with some type that won’t attract dirt such as Teflon, or silicone.

Also if you find the fluid level is low, you need to find the leak and repair it, than top off with fluid and bleed air out of system. Bleeding is easily accomplished with top up, both hydraulic cylinders detached from top irons, and running pump up & down adding fluid as needed as air is displaced. Once both pistons go up and down at the same time, reconnect to top irons.

OK. Personally, I wouldn't use brake fluid even if that's what the owners manual recommended. I dont like the stuff at all. It generates rust, removes paint, tastes bad, drys skin, etc, etc. I wouldn't even use it in my brakes if there was a substitute.

Dot 5 brake fluid. It's ALL I use, anywhere, anytime (except ABS systems, of which I own none). You could wash your car with it, drink it, bathe in it, etc, and it washes right up. Absorbs no moisture, and allows no rust. Great stuff.

Once I started using DOT5, I had no more brake system troubles.

Dot 5 brake fluid. It's ALL I use, anywhere, anytime (except ABS systems, of which I own none). You could wash your car with it, drink it, bathe in it, etc, and it washes right up. Absorbs no moisture, and allows no rust. Great stuff.

Once I started using DOT5, I had no more brake system troubles.

Thanks for that. Next complete brake system renew will get a synthetic/silicone blend. For now its too easy to grab the store brand DOT3 at .98 per ltr. when replacing the master cylinder alone or other piece work.
Yeah brake work is off topic here, sorry. Good luck to all.

-
Back