Convertible windshield trim

-

jtkaaa07

BossMan
Reaction score
Anyone know how the bottom piece of lock strip trim is attached on the bottom of windshield on a 68 dart convertible? My buddy just had his windshield installed today on his 68 GTS droptop, and the guy installing the windshield say's he thinks you would use some kind of bedding coumpound on the bottom of the windshield seeing the is no lower channel like a hardtop. Any help from you convertible guy's would be awesome, Thanks Jeff

Anyone know how the bottom piece of lock strip trim is attached on the bottom of windshield on a 68 dart convertible? My buddy just had his windshield installed today on his 68 GTS droptop, and the guy installing the windshield say's he thinks you would use some kind of bedding coumpound on the bottom of the windshield seeing the is no lower channel like a hardtop. Any help from you convertible guy's would be awesome, Thanks Jeff

The bottom strip is made of plastic with chrome mylar on the reveal part. It fits into a channel in the windshield rubber....See pic below....

Attachments

• IMG_1737 (Large).jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 443
The bottom strip is made of plastic with chrome mylar on the reveal part. It fits into a channel in the windshield rubber....See pic below....

Yeah, he has the new piece of trim with the lock strip on it made for the car, but he say's theres no place on the gasket to snap it into, are there 2 different kinds of gaskets or something? I know nothing about covertibles

Yeah, he has the new piece of trim with the lock strip on it made for the car, but he say's theres no place on the gasket to snap it into, are there 2 different kinds of gaskets or something? I know nothing about covertibles

Is he sure it's a convertible windshield gasket? He may have installed a hardtop gasket without the trim option, so there will be no channel, or a later model hardtop gasket that uses trim clips instead of the lockstrip.

Hey 65Val... priced those repops out and $$$.
Have you heard of anyone using this stuff with success?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-68-69-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item337e8c1e04&vxp=mtr

I know its not the same but looks like it would fit in channel. Ill be doing mine in the near future. Already have the gasket. Thanks

I've heard it doesn't look right when installed. The top part isn't wide enough to cover the channel in the rubber, and it doesn't really "lock" into the rubber either. I got my repro from Year One....it's called "CM-8" and is the closest thing available to the original. I know they're a bit spendy, but I wanted to look as close to orig. as possible.

Attachments

• Orig & YO-LSsml.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 376
I guess it always comes down to only wanting to do it "once".... lol
Never had alot of luck with shortcuts.

Is he sure it's a convertible windshield gasket? He may have installed a hardtop gasket without the trim option, so there will be no channel, or a later model hardtop gasket that uses trim clips instead of the lockstrip.

He say's it was for a 67-69 a body convertible I saw the thing friday while I was up there helping him put the car back together, and I don't remember. I found a couple gaskets, and some specify " will accept trim", I assume that means the strip of milar you are refering to? This convertible stuff is foriegn to me, he may have the wrong gasket I told him that too. Thanks for the help, I post some pics of the progress .

He say's it was for a 67-69 a body convertible I saw the thing friday while I was up there helping him put the car back together, and I don't remember. I found a couple gaskets, and some specify " will accept trim", I assume that means the strip of milar you are refering to? This convertible stuff is foriegn to me, he may have the wrong gasket I told him that too. Thanks for the help, I post some pics of the progress .

YW. Post some pics of his windshield gasket, and lockstrip piece, if you can. Maybe we can solve this problem for him.

That 1st. pic I posted way up there^^^ is an original gasket ,in my car. You can see the channel where the lockstrip is supposed to go. I would assume the repros are pretty similar, allowing the repro lockstrip to install properly.

YW. Post some pics of his windshield gasket, and lockstrip piece, if you can. Maybe we can solve this problem for him.

That 1st. pic I posted way up there^^^ is an original gasket ,in my car. You can see the channel where the lockstrip is supposed to go. I would assume the repros are pretty similar, allowing the repro lockstrip to install properly.

I know he bought the new lock strip from year one, I dont Know about the gasket

-
Back