Converting from mechanical to hydraulic cam and lifters on 273 Dart

-

Romulo Roderiques

Reaction score
Need some help here

I am converting my 65 Dart 273 to hydraulic cam and lifters and can’t find the right length pushrods. I did not get hydraulic rocker arms and kept the mechanical adjustable ones. Do I need to get hydraulic rocker arms as well and will the OE rocker shafts fit ?

Resized_Resized_20230625_113644.jpeg

Resized_Screenshot_20230625-113900_Gallery.jpeg

Resized_Resized_20230625_113413.jpeg

Resized_Resized_20230625_114114.jpeg

No need to get hydraulic rockers, and you can use the pushrods you already have! 65'

Get a pushrod length checker to get the appropriate length pushrods.

Same setup I'm currently running in my 340. Used a measuring tool from a friend and ordered what I needed from Smith Brothers. Very fast turn around time and everything worked out great. The pushrods I had made were 7.375 Overall length and 7.25 inches Effective Length from tip to bottom of cup.

Which hydraulic system are you referring to?

A set of stock hydraulic rocker arms, shafts, and pushrods. They can be found on any 68 up 273, 318, 340, or 360 till he magnum engines. Just clean them up, inspect then, oil them up and bolt them on, Done. Just make sure the shafts are oriented correctly. The rocker system changed again with the magnum engines in the 90's to pedestal rockers.

The rockers you have are superior to the hydraulic style. Stay with them and get push rods . You will be able to adjust your hydraulic lifter preload with the adjusters rather then using shims under the shafts. And most of these new lifters need adjustment and do not work with the stamped steel rockers. Don't let anyone con you out of your rockers.

Also the stamped steel rockers used on a standard 340 Hydraulic cams are not the same as a 318 or 360. Sure they are the same Part number . But they are clearanced for the spring retainers. That work will cost you more then Push rods themselves.

I have many rockers like you have and you'll never see me sell any. I keep them and sell the stamped steel cheap. Nothing is better then the iron non roller rockers for endurance on the street. No needles bearings or rollers to fall out and destroy an engine.

Just have them resurfaced if wore. You cannot do that the stamp steel style without issues

2c84a2be-c118-4615-a7ab-324778e98f1f-jpeg.jpg

100_0156.JPG

100_0157.JPG

100_0158.JPG

Last edited:
The rockers you have are superior to the hydraulic style. Stay with them and get push rods . You will be able to adjust your hydraulic lifter preload with the adjusters rather then using shims under the shafts. And most of these new lifters need adjustment and do not work with the stamped steel rockers. Don't let anyone con you out of your rockers.

Also the stamped steel rockers used on a standard 340 Hydraulic cams are not the same as a 318 or 360. Sure they are the same Part number . But they are clearanced for the spring retainers. That work will cost you more then Push rods themselves.

I have many rockers like you have and you'll never see me sell any. I keep them and sell the stamped steel cheap. Nothing is better then the iron non roller rockers for endurance on the street. No needles bearings or rollers to fall out and destroy an engine

While I agree with you, for someone wanting to switch from solid to hydraulic the hydraulic system is so simple and they work just fine.

A set of stock hydraulic rocker arms, shafts, and pushrods. They can be found on any 68 up 273, 318, 340, or 360 till he magnum engines. Just clean them up, inspect then, oil them up and bolt them on, Done. Just make sure the shafts are oriented correctly. The rocker system changed again with the magnum engines in the 90's to pedestal rockers.
I wouldn't use the later hollow push rods that came with the roller cam, but, yeah, find a clean set of LA small block rocker assemblies and matching push rods, or, get custom length push rods for your adjustable rockers......your choice.

-
Back