Convertor gurus enter

-

bignasty123

Reaction score
Ok my car still needs dyno time eddy headed 408
Question I have a hughes 3500 in it on the dyno it's flashing at 4200 . Does that mean its on its way out?..or is it a bad batch of converters. My buddy said its hurting hp he said I might want a tighter one so I can get more operating rm out of it. Some insight would be much appreciated.

If its a random shelf converter, then it is quite possible the extra torque of the 408 is making it flash higher then it was advertised to...which is typical

Hard to say without knowing the combo, but unless this engine is a cruiser or running a power adder, even 4200 sounds way too tight to me

Ok so the 408 is gonna make it flash higher then normal....cool it is a street slash drag car. I drive it to car shows with in 20 miles and drag racing. It 60fts good I was just wondering.thanks guys

What does it do while driving the car? I don't put a ton of faith in relying on the dyno load to trouble shoot a converter

Driving it slips a little to like 2500 then goes but when u slam the gas it's over 3k. Seems fine to me. Just wanted more info on converters because I'm not to knowledgable on how the operate and such.

I had a Hughes 10" 3K behind the 416 and it seemed to flash right around there. To get it moving it only needed about 1500-2000 rpm. Cruising around it seemed to hang around 2500 rpm. 4200 seems kinda high for a 3500 converter to me. I've heard mixed opinions about Hughes converters. That's why I sold mine and got a Dynamic.

Calculate slippage first. You'll need tire diameter , gear ratio , r.p.m. and speed.
Using simple math and a time slip will tell you if your converter is up to snuff.
Numbers around 10 % are around where you want to be at , and understand that this is a rule of thumb.
If it is slipping on the big end , it's probably not launching you either.
If you can't get a time slip , you need an accurate speed reading and you want it under load.......maybe bribe a law enforcement officer with a dozen crullers ? :D

Do you have a part number for the converter? What rpm does your motor make max torque? Are you running a good aftermarket cooler?

Ok my car still needs dyno time eddy headed 408
Question I have a hughes 3500 in it on the dyno it's flashing at 4200 . Does that mean its on its way out?..or is it a bad batch of converters. My buddy said its hurting hp he said I might want a tighter one so I can get more operating rm out of it. Some insight would be much appreciated.

What size is it? And Hughes make decent converters,for off the shelf. How about calling them,to tighten yours up? It can be done,depending on the actual converter core.

The advertised stall rating of a converter means nothing, if you don't know the input torque. I have a 9 1/2 inch converter that will footbrake stall at 3200 rpm, with one of my engines, and 4,000 behind a different engine. The second engine has more 50 cubes, different compression, different cam.

-
Back