Cool car crash video! 1959 vs. 2009!

-
Wow, amazing that the land yacht....er...59 Chevy, the driver was dead meat, and the Impala with all the safety feature & bags, the driver woulda been bumped and bruised, but survived.

Scary

FF

Holy crap... and we think that we're safe with all the steel around us....

Where do you find a mint or 1 year old 58 chev to crash test that is not rusted or frame problems?As I watch the video,parts are coming off left/right and center with very little brakeage off the 58.My 65 chrysler is impossible to have a fender come off with out ripping all types of metal off first,never mind the doors and hood and glass.If this was such a good car,why is it in a crash test?At this piont this is a stagged video for GM to show some quality,now where never the volvo guys or saab cars and the germans.I would like to see the cars my self to really look at the 58,top and bottom,as I have a lot of questions about there test.But its still niece to see the two tear it up,regular nascar race,mrmopartech

Where do you find a mint or 1 year old 58 chev to crash test that is not rusted or frame problems?As I watch the video,parts are coming off left/right and center with very little brakeage off the 58.My 65 chrysler is impossible to have a fender come off with out ripping all types of metal off first,never mind the doors and hood and glass.If this was such a good car,why is it in a crash test?At this piont this is a stagged video for GM to show some quality,now where never the volvo guys or saab cars and the germans.I would like to see the cars my self to really look at the 58,top and bottom,as I have a lot of questions about there test.But its still niece to see the two tear it up,regular nascar race,mrmopartech

Uh, small nit, it's a 59 chebbie, not a 58!!

I got to say, it looks real to me. The wife was in a horrible accident last year in a Forrester, and everything crumpled except the passenger section.
A friend of mine used to have a 70 Impala and he hit a Subaru wagon head on at about 35, and the Impala was destroyed beyond belief - the hood was crushed so much it had crumpled above the top of the windshield, the fenders were crushed like tinfoil, and the frame was bent completely up. I was there, we took it apart thinking some new parts and bam - back on the road - no such luck.
As for the Subaru - it barely looked damaged and drove away, the front bumper was shifted to one side, the grill was broken at the mounts but intact, and the front of the hood and fenders were dented. It was fixed within a week.

I got to say, it looks real to me. The wife was in a horrible accident last year in a Forrester, and everything crumpled except the passenger section.
A friend of mine used to have a 70 Impala and he hit a Subaru wagon head on at about 35, and the Impala was destroyed beyond belief - the hood was crushed so much it had crumpled above the top of the windshield, the fenders were crushed like tinfoil, and the frame was bent completely up. I was there, we took it apart thinking some new parts and bam - back on the road - no such luck.
As for the Subaru - it barely looked damaged and drove away, the front bumper was shifted to one side, the grill was broken at the mounts but intact, and the front of the hood and fenders were dented. It was fixed within a week.

I agree. My dad and I sure were surprised at how much these old cars fold up. My mom was in a head-on driving a 1978 3/4 ton gmc pickup. She was hit by a mid 90's caddy, and my dad and I used to think that these big steel rigs were indestructible. That truck folded right up. Driver's side front tire sitting where the driver's side floor used to be. Granted, the caddy was much shorter than the truck, so it probably had some leverage, but still. All that steel can and will bend, a bit easier than I thought it would.

Now put yourself in an a-body with a unibody frame. Bet that steering wheel is tasty.

They told some poor schmuck that they wanted to borrow his old Impala to make a video!

This has been making the rounds tonight. I just saw it over on olskoolrodz.com.

The comments over there make the most sense.

Bumper kinda just falls off, frame rails cut, no motor. They may fold up but not like that!

http://olskoolrodz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51381

Yeah, I guess it could be like bringing down a building. The demolition crew spends weeks and sometimes months cutting and weakening the structure so the explosives can finish the job.

We have no way of knowing how much cutting and weakening may have taken place on the old Impala before the video.

Sounds like a job for Mythbusters!

I may be way off here, but I still think nothing was done. I had a 57 Chevy, and the chrome on the hood weighed 5 times as much as the hood, and the fenders were not very heavy either. Remove the inner fenders and fenders and there is no structure under there. These new cars all have a complete inner structure that is meant to collapse, even send the engine under the car to keep it out of the passenger compartment.

That whole steering colume shoots into the car, nothing collapsing there - ouch!

I help run a site called Chevytalk. Send your hate mail later. :D Anyways one of our members helped the owner with selling that 59 about a year ago. It was a 60,000 mile original paint and interior surviver in almost mint condition. It sold for $8,500 at the time. I'm sure the previous owner is sick to his stomache after seeing this.:mad:

Wow I thought yhe old 59 would do better.I guess the dummy should have bought a 59 Imperial if he wanted to be safe!
Jim

-
Back