Cool Valiant

-

dartley

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Got a '75 Valiant 4dr /6, daily driver; factory a/c - big rad and fan with shroud. Timed to 0 TDC @700rpm and runs like a top.

Here's the thing. It runs steady at 140 deg F. That was great in the 95 deg F of summer. But since I'm on LI, NY, maybe not so good for 20 deg F winter weather. Even now, while it's 45 deg F out, the heater makes only warm air, so it's not a temp sensor pblm. The AF is full in the rad.

The last /6 I had was a '75 Dart Sport. It only had a rad about 2/3 as large as this one and no shroud and a smaller fan, and it still did not nearly overheat.

But is car here is all factory. You folks have any idea what I might do - besides placing cardboard over the rad?

I was thinking a new hotter thermostat, but I'd hate to do that for nothing, and I can't see that doing much good. Any thoughts?

Thanks and best regards,

I'd say that you thermostat is not working correctly (stuck open some) because the lowest one you can buy is a 160 degree. I would run at least a 180 in that car year round. A 195 wouldn't hurt either since that would have been the factory 'stat for that car.

My 71 Dart Swinger was the same way, I changed to a 195 thermostat. In Vermont It took a while but I got very little heat. I did some checking and put a thermocoupler in the radiator. It doesn't get above 170 or so, /6 is just to effiecient running. So I experimented, I took a piece of aluminum and drilled a small hole in the center instead of the thermostat. After a while I got it to run at 190+-10 degrees. I don't have it anymore so I can't remember the exact setup took a bit to get it right, in the spring I took it out and put the thermostat back in.

Hope this helps,

Rick

64_Barracuda said:
My 71 Dart Swinger was the same way, I changed to a 195 thermostat. In Vermont It took a while but I got very little heat. I did some checking and put a thermocoupler in the radiator. It doesn't get above 170 or so, /6 is just to effiecient running. So I experimented, I took a piece of aluminum and drilled a small hole in the center instead of the thermostat. After a while I got it to run at 190+-10 degrees. I don't have it anymore so I can't remember the exact setup took a bit to get it right, in the spring I took it out and put the thermostat back in.

Hope this helps,

Rick

As a matter of fact the car is up for sale now. I need to get rid of either the '92 Spirit or this one, and I don't have time to work on four cars - the time I spend working on a car I want to spend on the 340 car.

But in case I keep it, this is good to know. Thanks again and best regards,

-
Back