Coolant in cylinder 8 on 318

-
This engine is sleeved. I was thinking block at first as well, but these are new sleeves.
Can't say for sure about your block, but it would be highly unusual for anyone to spend the money to put multiple sleeves in a 318 block.

I notice that you have headers. I drilled too big/too deep when plugging the air injection holes during header preparation on a set of smog heads once. Filled the cylinders with coolant by way of the air injection holes. Not my finest hour.

Do they actually have something to pressure check a head or they magnaflux it? I have only seen the latter.

Trying to help my sister get her 67 Barracuda back on the road. She bought a crate 318 during COVID. I finally got the opportunity to put it in the car for her over the winter. Got all the way to filling fluids, priming oil, and getting ready to install the intermediate shaft and distributor. Turned the engine over very briefly without spark plugs and see coolant coming out of spark plug hole for cylinder 8. This is a long block that was fully assembled, and supposedly bench tested. Pull the intake thinking maybe something is leaking there. Seemed unlikely but obvious place to start. Nothing. Gaskets and silicone around water jackets look well sealed. What else could it be? Head gasket?

Bit the bullet and pull the head, and nothing visibly obvious there. I am stumped. Has anyone ever seen coolant in one cylinder like that? No idea how coolant is getting pulled into that cylinder.

Edited: Obviously one of the things I instantly thought of was a cracked block. But this engine has new sleeves, so I don't think that is even a possibility.

View attachment 1716226289
Considering the engine has not run, I would not play around with it. I realise time is probably past any warranty, but I would try.
I would be questioning why it required all cylinders to be sleeved. There could have been a crack or rust pit through the #8 cylinder wall that could allow coolant to seep up and then past the head gasket. Another probable source and quite probable is a crack or pinhole in the combustion chamber.
This may come to getting a lawyer involved.

Do they actually have something to pressure check a head or they magnaflux it? I have only seen the latter.
Yes you can pressure test heads and blocks. Coolant holes are plugged and air pressure is applied through one hole. Then the head is submerged in a water tank.

So my mistake guys. This engine is not sleeved. The cylinders were all so clean even 3 years after they were bored, it just looked sleeved. I just was not paying very close attention. It is simply bored. Head passed pressure test at a performance machine shop locally. I really do not think the cylinder walls are cracked. So I truly believe something simply was not sealed. Currently suspect head gasket. I am going to reinstall the head and do a cylinder leak down test.

-
Back