coolant leak at exhaust manifold

-

63dartman

Reaction score
I have some coolant coming from the rear driver's side header exhaust flange. Looks like it may be coming from the bolt hole.

I need to know if the rear driver's side bolt holes do in fact have coolant behind them?

I have some coolant coming from the rear driver's side header exhaust flange. Looks like it may be coming from the bolt hole.

I need to know if the rear driver's side bolt holes do in fact have coolant behind them?

They do on a small blocks. Just a threeded in stud that goes into a water passege. Little selent or thread tape should fix it right up.

thanks burnt, I seem to forget little things like that. I was almost positive it did. I am glad it's not a expansion plug like I thought.

I have the same coolant leak on the passenger side. I did use sealant, but I still have a leak. The stud is bigger than standard and it seams the threads are not that good and I can't tighten the header up. What is the best fix for this with motor still in car if possible?
Thanks for your input

I have the same coolant leak on the passenger side. I did use sealant, but I still have a leak. The stud is bigger than standard and it seams the threads are not that good and I can't tighten the header up. What is the best fix for this with motor still in car if possible?
Thanks for your input

You could try to helacoil it.

All 4 corners are drilled into water. Those were originally threaded studs with nuts instead of bolts.

Try Permatex.. Stripped thread repair, Just Google it, simple n cheap fix.

Thanks for your input

dont put stop leak in anything.stop leak is a bandaid. its notorious for stopping radiator tubes and head water passages. if water passage clogs head gets hot spot and may crack.

not start an arguement or anyhthing i agree with you daredevil to a point it never should be used in excess .when i worked at the nissan dealer here in chattanooga it was not uncommon for cars to come new from the factory with stopleak already in the cooling system. and i know GM is the same way i am fairly sure you can buy GM brand stop leak from the dealer. i have used various diffrent kinds of stopleak in several cars of my own and never had any problems BUT i usually only add half of the reccomended amount because like dare devil stated it can clog things up if used in excess

Try Permatex.. Stripped thread repair, Just Google it, simple n cheap fix.

Eric, have you used the permatex, thread fixer? I read the info and it said the surfaces had to be clean which would be hard to do with the motor still in the car, so I just wondering how it worked?

-
Back