Coolant recovery tank

-

gm1236

Reaction score
I’m looking to add a coolant recovery tank, I have a 383 in a ‘75 Duster, space is limited. Looking for ideas, what have you guys come up with?

I'm using a $5 48 Oz graduated water bottle from wal-mart.

Previously I had a 32 Oz bottle but it was too small resulting in overflowing and then overheating of my stock 318 that typically runs around 170 degrees.

To run a street car on the track you need a radiator catch on the overflow.
I have on the Demon a 1qt transmission bottle I zipped tied to radiator support below the top on the side of the radiator. I drilled a hose in the cap after washing the bottle clean. Tight fitting (does not take up a lot of room) and you don’t even see it.
Cheap too. Option for you. Maybe the not the best option but will work. Side note: make sure your drain tube is smaller than your hole. This allows air to escape as fluid comes into the bottle.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQm7cqAp_8OXGW1d5RIA73rQhoIh_9nV1xw-g&usqp=CAU.jpg

170° is a pretty low operating temp . Most cars actually run closer to 200 ° .
A coolant recovery system is not just a bottle with a hole drilled in it. It also has a special radiator cap that operates as a 2 way valve to allow hot coolant to escape into the bottle and then to flow back into the radiator as it cools down.
This eliminates air in the radiator helping to keep corrosion and temps lower in the cooling system.
Just a bottle to capture the coolant as the coolant expands in the radiator without a backflowing cap would require constant "topping off" of the coolant.
Most post 1973 automobiles came equipped with the recovery system.

A catch can is not necessarily a coolant recover system, either.

170° is a pretty low operating temp . Most cars actually run closer to 200 ° .
A coolant recovery system is not just a bottle with a hole drilled in it. It also has a special radiator cap that operates as a 2 way valve to allow hot coolant to escape into the bottle and then to flow back into the radiator as it cools down.
This eliminates air in the radiator helping to keep corrosion and temps lower in the cooling system.
Just a bottle to capture the coolant as the coolant expands in the radiator without a backflowing cap would require constant "topping off" of the coolant.
Most post 1973 automobiles came equipped with the recovery system.
This is what I’m trying to do. I already have a catch can, looking to keep the system full all the time.
I’m not sure if a stock one will fit, I have a large aluminum radiator.
Anybody have a picture of a stock one? Where is it mounted?

-
Back