coolant sensor in intake manifold

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
so I send the wifey and kids out of the house so I could work on the car a bit (here in Michigan we don't do post season football)
I went to install the new intake manifold and in order to get some more wrenching room on one of the bolts I decided to remove the coolant sensor that sits on the front of the manifold
I get about a half a turn out of the darn thing and it snaps, leaving half of it in the manifold
ill take it in to work tomorrow to drill it out but I don't know what pitch to retap the hole once it is out

on a side note, do you guys usually remove the dowels when replacing the manifold ?
I could get it to slide on them no problem when dryfitting it but with the gaskets in place it gets tough to find them

should have no problem finding a tap in that size ;)
I was hoping to get an actual number

Drill it in steps until you are close to the threads and then collapse it on itself and work it out.

As far as the pin, yes, pull them, use a nice 1/4" to 3/8" bead of Permatex on the china wall making sure to get some in the corners where head meets block. Let it sit for a little bit so that it kinda skins over. Install the intake.

Make sure to use some non hardening thread sealant on the intake bolts, as sometimes oil can wick up the threads an form little puddles in the valleys.

thanks guys

"non hardening sealant, got a name preference (kinda new at this so in sure I don't have it handy but I think I will need it for when I got install the timing cover again with those pesky waterjackets)

1/8 npt, you work on your car in the house?

thanks, that's the number I was hoping to figure out
I work on the car in the garage but if both the kids are home there is no chance of me hiding out there, they will find me and bug me until I get nothing done

thanks guys

"non hardening sealant, got a name preference (kinda new at this so in sure I don't have it handy but I think I will need it for when I got install the timing cover again with those pesky waterjackets)

Attachments

• PTX.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 199
shoulda known permatex had a finger in that pie

thanks, ill pick some up next time im out

Don't get the one with red print, that's for high heat threads. ^^ That's a fairly good size tube, it will do the intake and WP bolts no problem.

so guess what sealant they have at my local autozone ?

yup, the high temp one

that and some stuff called "indian head" (also made by permatex) which the clerk said was pretty good too
http://www.permatex.com/products-2/...--indian-head--gasket-shellac-compound-detail
I guess ill look up a few other places

I did manage to get the temp sensor drilled out to a 3/8 hole and there is still a little bit of brass there so I don't know if it had an insert or if it had been drilled out and overtapped before but im going to see if I can get a 1/2NPT to 1/8 NPT reducer and just slap that in

Spray it down with some carb cleaner to help dissolve the old sealer or heat it up.

Then drill it out big enough to get a EZ out in it

so guess what sealant they have at my local autozone ?

yup, the high temp one

that and some stuff called "indian head" (also made by permatex) which the clerk said was pretty good too
http://www.permatex.com/products-2/...--indian-head--gasket-shellac-compound-detail
I guess ill look up a few other places

I did manage to get the temp sensor drilled out to a 3/8 hole and there is still a little bit of brass there so I don't know if it had an insert or if it had been drilled out and overtapped before but im going to see if I can get a 1/2NPT to 1/8 NPT reducer and just slap that in

Try and make sure you can get the sensor down in the intake as far as you can get it.
Some dip shot put reducers on my engine to get the sensor to fit, and when I took all of them off and just used the right size in the first place there was a 10 or so degree diffence in the guage readings. (10 cooler than it really was)
Point is, apparently just not having the sensor directly in the coolant made it lie.

-
Back