Coolant

-

danthedewman1

Reaction score
HI..Is a 50/50 mix of coolant really needed to keep your engine cool? Or can you get by with a lot less? Isnt coolant mainly to keep your parts lubed and to keep from freezing? Thanks, DAN

Modern "coolants, do have some lubricating qualities, an anti freeze quality, but also an anti boil-over quality. I try to always stay right around the 50/50 blend in the engine/rad, but I know for a fact that there are plenty of people running all year round on a lower percentage of coolant.

I would suspect that the percentage of coolant can be varied by climate and season, too.

Water is best for heat dissipation, antifreeze provides lubricant as well as decreases freeze point and increases boiling point. If you are running a high engine temp, changing to a higher water/antifreeze ratio will help reduce temps by better heat dissipation. If you live in colder climates then you will have to adjust your ratio accordingly as ambient temp approaches freezing. Water Wetter enhances the water's heat dissipation especially at higher temps. Keep in mind that pressure also increases boiling point. If you have a weak rad cap then you will potentially boil over at a lower temp. If you can keep you engine under 200 deg then boiling over is not a concern..

Frankie is right. Antifreeze has anti boiling and anti freezing properties.

If you only run in warm water, you can get away with straight water, but if you don't remove the radiator cap during winter storage, the water can freeze and crack your block when it expands and turns to ice. If you use straight water, take the radiator cap off so the ice is allowed to expand out of the top of the radiator and not crack your block.

I like to buy the straight anti freeze and then dilute to 50/50 myself. I don't like to pay over $4.00 per gallon for water unless I'm at a concert or sporting event.

The best mixture to run is 50/50 antifreeze and water.

Humor:

How do you make antifreeze?

Hide her night gown... LOL!

How do you make a horemone?

Don't pay her.... LOL!

Frankie is right. Antifreeze has anti boiling and anti freezing properties.

If you only run in warm water, you can get away with straight water, but if you don't remove the radiator cap during winter storage, the water can freeze and crack your block when it expands and turns to ice. If you use straight water, take the radiator cap off so the ice is allowed to expand out of the top of the radiator and not crack your block.

I like to buy the straight anti freeze and then dilute to 50/50 myself. I don't like to pay over $4.00 per gallon for water unless I'm at a concert or sporting event.

The best mixture to run is 50/50 antifreeze and water.

Humor:

How do you make antifreeze?

Hide her night gown... LOL!

How do you make a horemone?

Don't pay her.... LOL!

I agree with buying pure antifreeze. I totally disagree with the removing the radiator cap theory. The radiator will freeze before the block and the ice will stop the possibility of expansion.

I agree with buying pure antifreeze. I totally disagree with the removing the radiator cap theory. The radiator will freeze before the block and the ice will stop the possibility of expansion.

I've seen where the radiator neck freezes and the ice is in a "waterfall" coming out of the radiator. The theory is to have an opening for the ice/water to expand when freezing. With the radiator cap on, the pressure has no where to releive itself.

The best way to store it after having straight water in it is to drain the water before storing.

There's also Rust inhibitors in Antifreeze. They don't recommend using just plain old water either but I do. Change it out every 2 years or so and you can go 60/40 mix

-
Back