coolest junkyard find!

-

7demon2

Registered User #1824
Reaction score
ok here is a good one that i am sure that almost all of us have had experience with. what is the coolect thing you have ever found in a junkyard before? for me, i have found many tools, and change of course. last year i found my coolest thing though. i was in the process of working on removeing a radio from a 74 dart. i needed to get at the back of it, so i decided to take out the glove box liner. i took it out and then noticed something down in the metal of the dash. there is a lip curled up on this dash, and there sat a man's 18 kt gold wedding band! who knows how it got there, and how long it had been there. weird thing is it fit me!

19 years too late for that! i guess i have a backup ring if i lose my real one though.....

I had a friend back in high school who worked in the summers for his uncle in ohio. His uncle had a junk yard business. He was dismantling a wreck and pulled the seats out and found about 2/3rds of a hand. Maybe thats where the ring came from?

don

"Junkyards are Kooool" I spose thats why I work in one Now,Although over Here we call them Wreckers Yards,Anyway We find Allsorts Lots & Lots of Tools Good ones Too & Soooo many other Things as will that I cant Remember the Most Oddest Thing,As we find things that Amaze us all the time over Here Im sure some People Use there cars as mobile Rubbish Bins LOL,Anyway Not to Long ago I was Wrecking out a Valiant Charger(Aussie Version) & The Same thing up under the dash next to the Glove Box I found a $10 Bill that was from the early Sixties."Must of come from one of the Line workers when installing the Dash Back in 1971 Because it was Jammed in there Pretty Good!"Took it to the Bank & they gave $12 Bucks for it Shoulda just Kept it A....

My dad was running around a salvage yard in Mapleton IL, Robertsons auto parts--acrossed from the Caterpiller(Big yellow) tractor foundry, he found half of a 426 hemi exhuast manifold(the owner was a stock car racer form way back) Its now on the wall of the office as a piece of history.

those are some neat finds. i remembered another guy that was working on a truck in a yard. he said he was doing something under the dash and was on his back looking up. while there he saw a hide away key box. one of those magnetic key boxes. he pulled it down and opened it. inside was the original set of keys for this truck along with 2 five dollar bills , a 10 dollar bill, and a 20 dollar bill. must have been some emergency cash! all were also old bills from about 1970.......

i remembered a weird thing i saw last summer in a yard. i saw a early 80's chevy caprice wagon. what is weird about it was it looked pretty nice, and still had a dealers used car window sticker in it! it looked to me as if a dealer had had this car and got tired of trying to sell it and just junked it as is! it had no rust, motor was still in it, and interior was in good shape. pretty odd to say the least............

7demon2,

I would say you guessed correctly on that one. I have seen other dealerships dump decent cars because they weren't worth trying to sell in their eyes.

dubldart340 that is the only thing i could think of as well. it is the only time i have seen a "used car" in the junk yard!

I used to run forklifts, loaders, etc at scrap yard that shredded cars. I hate to tell you what I did load in shredder, but this was 1980-81. I found 2 392 hemi engines, one with a hole in the block and the other was ok. I was able to bring the good one home and tore it down-found 1 spun rod. Wish I would have kept it but I sold it to a local mopar collector for 350 bucks about 15 years ago. Oh well, water under the bridge.

"LOL We get them all the Time over Here" Some we just use as Yard Hacks Others we Sell!"Hey Have you Guys Heard of that "Clunker Bill" Over there Ive Read about it But Not to Sure what state it was to Be Proposed in?Thankfully we Dont have Emission Testing "Yet" Over Here, & we Dont want No Clunker Bill Either! Its Good to Live in a Country were you can Drive Around in SuperCharged BigBlocks if you Wish But we Do have Stringent Saftey Regs called WOFs that cars have to Be Tested for every 6 months & they Have to Be Registered for Road Use every 12 months.Cost on Average are 12 month Reg is $217 & WOF Checks are $40 to $48 So can Be Pretty Pricy If the Car is 40 years old or more it only cost about $85 a year."But Not as Pricy as if its Lapsed its Rego then your looking at ReRegistering & New Plates,"Thats whats Killed a Lot of Old cars Over Here & Filled up the Yards!People are Lazy it Cost Nothing to Put the cars Rego on Hold till your Ready to Restore it & put it Back on the Road that way it dosent cost you New Plates etc!"Anyway Any MoPars that come in the Yard I Keep LOL"Sorry I Know this thread is for Finds I just Thought you might Be Interested in How things are Done Over Here! "Plus Any MOPAR is a Good Find Over Here LOL".. :thumblef:

I scored a nice pair of Ray-Ban sunglasses one time. They were in the visor pocket of a Z28.... yeah, I was checkin it out. 8-[

My Grand father , and I were rooting through the wreckers, and he pulled a brown paper bag out of the wheel well of a junker. He didn't know what it was, so I smoked it!

In one yard in the early 90's I found a 1970 340 Swinger, 1969 Superbee, 1969 Charger R/T and a 1969 Coroner R/T. I was told that none of them was for sale complete, but I was able to get some parts from them.

I was recently in a local yard I thought I had seen everything in there before as I am a regular scavenger. I was on a walk and found a desoto behind a couple other car weeds and brush. I pryed the hood alittle because it was so rusty and there was a hemi in it. After I payed for a couple duster parts i mentioned the hemi, and what they wanted for it? They said what Hemi? I might try to buy it this spring, do you guys think it is worth keeping and trying to rebuild the engine? If its the small hemi,can it just be bored to 392 or did they have a different crank? :thumblef:

Scarecrow said:
"LOL We get them all the Time over Here" Some we just use as Yard Hacks Others we Sell!"Hey Have you Guys Heard of that "Clunker Bill" Over there Ive Read about it But Not to Sure what state it was to Be Proposed in?Thankfully we Dont have Emission Testing "Yet" Over Here, & we Dont want No Clunker Bill Either! Its Good to Live in a Country were you can Drive Around in SuperCharged BigBlocks if you Wish But we Do have Stringent Saftey Regs called WOFs that cars have to Be Tested for every 6 months & they Have to Be Registered for Road Use every 12 months.Cost on Average are 12 month Reg is $217 & WOF Checks are $40 to $48 So can Be Pretty Pricy If the Car is 40 years old or more it only cost about $85 a year."But Not as Pricy as if its Lapsed its Rego then your looking at ReRegistering & New Plates,"Thats whats Killed a Lot of Old cars Over Here & Filled up the Yards!People are Lazy it Cost Nothing to Put the cars Rego on Hold till your Ready to Restore it & put it Back on the Road that way it dosent cost you New Plates etc!"Anyway Any MoPars that come in the Yard I Keep LOL"Sorry I Know this thread is for Finds I just Thought you might Be Interested in How things are Done Over Here! "Plus Any MOPAR is a Good Find Over Here LOL".. :thumblef:
scarecrow as far as i know the "clunker bill" is still being kicked around over here and hasn't passed yet....i too hope it dosen't! very interesting how things work over your side of the world. seems unfair to me!

pagilman i know where there are 3 early hemi's for sale in a yard now! i couldn't tell you about the bore or crank of a 392 though...

340john that sounds like a great yard!

MtNemoMopar....what grandpa don't know don't hurt him

GotDart that was a good find! figures that they would be in a z/28

"Hey I would Try to score that" Even if it is hard to get Parts for that Kind of Motor, I Think DeSoto Hemis were a Completely Different Motor to the Chrysler & Dodge Hemis Bit of a Odd Ball! Make a Good Rat Rod Motor LOL."Check Out AllPar.com for Cross Referances on what parts interchange with each Hemi,Also if it is a 276ci then No Way can you Bore it to 392ci I not to sure if DeSoto Built a Hemi as small as 241ci or Not, I Only Know of 291,325,330,341,345ci."What year is it Do you Know?? :thumblef:

"Hey 7demon2 it was a Lot Tougher in the Nineties The WOF Laws were coming Down on Rusty cars & That Killed off Quite a Few"Cheers"

Pretty cool posts.

In my '65 Barracuda, when I bought it, I found a US 1965 quarter under the carpet. I keep it in the ashtray at all times. In the rear panel, down under some undercoating and lead, I found a Pepsi bottle top, I guess a line worker threw it in there.

I don't have a lot of experiences in wrecking yards, but I found an old van like mine once, and I was checking out the seats to see if I could use them and under the passenger side there were a couple of syringes full of God knows what shoved up under the springs!

there sat a man's 18 kt gold wedding band! who knows how it got there, and how long it had been there. weird thing is it fit me![/QUOTE]

DONT DO IT

I went to the junkyard with a coworker several years ago. I was pulling a nice soft, perfedt dash pad out of a 68 Dart when a little stash fell out of the dash. My buddy thought that was pretty cool. I quit smokin years ago, but it was kinda tempting.

I found a 69 340 in a van last month. Yeap...it's in my storage shed right now.

I scored a 1970 plymouth duster. My 72 had a bad frame, and I had just popped into my local yard and the guy goes. "I got your car" . He'd got in a 70 duster slant 6 with some rust and no windows. I bought it for $200 and drove it out of my garage with the parts from the 72 the next week.

When I was done with it. (broke k-member, trashed slant 6, other major issues) I returned it to it's resting place proud and overlooking the same yard.

-
Back