cooling problems

-

thanson_mopar

Reaction score
well, it seemed when it was cooler outside the cooling system was adequete but now its getting warmer, 90+ right now and will soon be 100 and above. Im running a 340 radiator, same as a 318AC radiator, i believe they are a 2 core. Today i returned home from a trip to town to get gas and when I pulled home i was burning 220 degrees. Im not going to drive my duster anymore till i get somthing figured out. I have heard of additives like water wetter. anyone have experience? How about a bigger radiator? I cant really afford an aluminum radiator right now so i would have to look at origionals. if a bigger radiator than what year of cars can i look for? small block C bodies and B bodies? i dont mind doing a little bit of minor modification to make a radiator fit.

what are my options here?

A bigger rad would not come from another car body line like a B or E or C, but recore to 3 rows.
I have used water wetter with good results.
I also used a MP hi-vol water pump.

You have a shroud, good working thermostat and clear rad, non cloged and a viscous fan?

I just installed dual 12 in. elec. fans and removed the engine fan and now it runs about 185. Oh and the fans are in a shroud. And a little more HP without the engine fan.

I just installed dual 12 in. elec. fans and removed the engine fan and now it runs about 185. Oh and the fans are in a shroud. And a little more HP without the engine fan.
Can you please post some info on the fan set up?

What temperature thermostat are you running? I have been having issues as well and planned on dropping down to a 160 degree and running an electric fan....

I would like to see as well. Is it the summit brand?

I've got a cooling issue on mine that's borderline as well. I have a Derale electric fan arriving today that I'm going to try. Also have a high-flow 180 stat and using water wetter.

Changing stats to a lower opening temp will not cure overheating problems. It may delay it but it will not fix an existing problem. Stats are regulating devices - they simply open and close at the temperature they're rated at.

A bigger rad would not come from another car body line like a B or E or C, but recore to 3 rows.
I have used water wetter with good results.
I also used a MP hi-vol water pump.

You have a shroud, good working thermostat and clear rad, non cloged and a viscous fan?

who recores radiators, will the local rad shop do it? how much more efficient is a 3 core?

a radiator shop will do it and a 3 core is for sure better than a 2 core. its pretty cheap to have them recored.

When i had mine recored it cost me around 100$,Also check and make sure your not running lean.I had mine done about a year ago at the local radiator shop, it came from a 318 air car.I have a 180 stat in it now and in 95+ degree weather it never goes over 200 now.

-
Back