Cop rearends motorcycle and blames the rider

-
he was on the right trying to get the lane changer to see him in his mirror. That was exclusively a visibility move.

Let's think about this, You are riding in the blind spot on the right side of another vehicle that is in the left lane next to you. That blind spot is not really blind at all if you use your car mirrors and the motorcycle is traveling in the left part of his lane. It's pretty easy to see a car or motorcycle that is traveling along side you in the mirrors in this situation. Now If you put the the motorcycle at the far right of a travel lane you are making yourself invisible to that cars mirrors and possible the drivers view too.

I ride and have been riding for 28 years. I was taught the safest place to ride is on the left side of a travel lane. Keeps you out of the oil in the center and gives a motorcycle greater visibility to other drivers both traveling along side you and approaching you.

I don't know maybe that common sense safety rule has changed! In motorcycle safety classes today what do they recommend as the safest place to ride in the travel lane?

From a defensive standpoint and that may apply to the rider in this video. I understand what you guys are saying, but for being seen and having visibility to other drivers in general I disagree with riding in the far right of a travel lane in most situations.

Last time I went in for a tire rotation they wanted to leave my front tires with the most wear on the front of my vehicle. Lol... That doesn't make any sense to me either, I rotate them to keep the wear even. They acted like it was a law I couldn't rotate the better tire to the front for even wear. Back when I worked tires as a kid we always put the new tires on the front. The steering tires generally always wore out faster.

Attachments

• 220px-Blindspot_three_cars_illus.svg.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 126
Don't ask me why I have it at work,but I have the Maryland motocycle operator manual.It reads as follows."In general there is no single best position for riders to be seen and to maintain a space cushion around the motorcycle.No portion of the lane need be avoided including the center."

Riding at the far side of a lane may permit a driver to see you in a sideview mirror.But remember that most drivers don't look at their side-view mirrors nearly as often as they check the rear-view mirror. If the traffic situation allows,the center portion of the lane is bestplace for you to be seen by the drivers ahead and to prevent lane sharing by the others."

Don't ask me why I have it at work,but I have the Maryland motocycle operator manual.It reads as follows."In general there is no single best position for riders to be seen and to maintain a space cushion around the motorcycle.No portion of the lane need be avoided including the center."

Exactly! Assume not a G.D. Thing on where a motorcycle is supposed to be in a lane I don't care how long you've been riding. Now unless your state has a law indicating where they are to be (which most states don't but I haven't been to all 50) as long as they're not riding/doing something illegal they can ride wherever they want in the lane.

JMO, if I were in that riders same situation with a driver to the right wanting to move into my lane, I'd be on/move to the right side of the lane. It gives me the most time to take action if the cager makes an aggressive move from not seeing me.

The cop was likely "allowed" to retire because there are usually fewer repercussions related to future benefits.

Keep up with traffic, LMAO, he's a 1-2 car lengths behind the car directly in front of him in stop and go. Don't miss out where the car also has it's signal on and starts to make a move towards the riderslane, at which point he brakes.

How does the cop write that ticket? "I observed cyclist cruising the strip going 30 mph in reverse"

"While patroling XYZ highway, I observed a cyclist attempting to ride up the push bar of my patrol vehicle in reverse"

it should also say something about not stopping for no apparent reason when someone is behind you (like this guy did).

99% of morons dont see bikes
I always see bikes.

I see them pass inbetween two cars riding the line, I see them passing on the shoulder, I see them going between vehicles stopped at lights or traffic jams.

Guys want to be police officers for only 2 reasons. 1- They want to serve and protect the community, and make it a safer place for us all to live in. 2- They are power hungry, control freaks, who love to dominate people.

Drunk cop in Indy on run hits 3 on motorcycles killing 1 injuring the others

They didn't investigate properly, wasn't going to let blood test in because it wasn't done by the correct person. They were qualified, just not for this case.

Bull **** coverup, they had pictures of him in uniform buying vodka, against regs. Was off duty, but responding to call as backup

Many good cops have to take the blame for the few bad, they think they are above the law

-
Back