Copper exhaust gaskets

-

canyncarvr

Reaction score
Anyone use these with satisfactory results?

I jut put one on the right side of my '69 340, Mr. Gasket PN 7166. It ticks and pffts, leaks like a sieve.

The outside ports of the gasket are rectangular, NOT the truncated angle of the exhaust port. I couldn't see what they looked like to the header...didn't take the header out, just replaced the gasket. It did seem strange the port wasn't the correct shape but, I thought, surely Mr. Gasket knows how to make a gasket.

...maybe not?

Any others with similar OR different experience with this part?

Thanks.

I bought a set for my BB. Couldn't use them because the raised sealing area didn't correspond with the raised area on my header flange.

Never used them on the head flanges but I don't have any problems with copper at the collectors.
Try Remflex and solve that problem once and for all.
Guaranteed not to leak and don't need retightening.
I'll never use anything else ever again for head flanges.

Ports are the right shape too. :)

Never used them on the head flanges but I don't have any problems with copper at the collectors.
Try Remflex and solve that problem once and for all.
Guaranteed not to leak and don't need retightening.
I'll never use anything else ever again for head flanges.

Ports are the right shape too. :)

X2,on the Remflex... Seal damn near anything warped,even.

I'm not familiar with the product.

What is it about them that you like? Are they reusable?

I see now that the error is mine, not Mr. Gasket's. I had looked the PN (#7166) up, found it listed for the 340...'69 even. On the package, though, the 340 is not listed, only the 273/318. I did think older 'A' block exhaust ports were all the same shape. Having never had anything BUT a 340, my experience was not the best basis for that point of view. #-o

I'm not familiar with the product.

What is it about them that you like? Are they reusable?

I see now that the error is mine, not Mr. Gasket's. I had looked the PN (#7166) up, found it listed for the 340...'69 even. On the package, though, the 340 is not listed, only the 273/318. I did think older 'A' block exhaust ports were all the same shape. Having never had anything BUT a 340, my experience was not the best basis for that point of view. #-o

Extra thick,extra heat resistant. Conforms even ,to badly warped header flanges.

I tried several brands including Mr Gasket. I finally used Percy's on my 360 with CPPA headers and they have remained sealed for 8-9 years. And yes I did reuse them once.

IMO I think those copper gaskets, and the layered aluminum gaskets were made to steal your money, and make you do the job over again, while they laugh at you. I have never tried the Remflex. I will on my next header job. I have had great success using Fel pro header gaskets.

I'm using the Mr Gasket copper gaskets on my 273 with vintage Blackjack headers. Always had trouble with the old style gaskets blowing out between cylinders 3-5 & 4-6. No leaks or sounds of any kind in the 4yrs they've been on.

I used a set of the aluminum composite gaskets on a 350 70 GMC pick up with Flowtech headers & had the same great results.

Thanks for the suggestions! :cheers:

The only Percy gasket I found was their #66037. They have the same (wrong) square outside port configuration. Just like the Mr. Gasket #7166s, they are listed (wrong) for ''68-'73 340'.

A Remflex #6027 set is on the way. At least their outside ports are the correct shape.

Thanks for the suggestions! :cheers:

The only Percy gasket I found was their #66037. They have the same (wrong) square outside port configuration. Just like the Mr. Gasket #7166s, they are listed (wrong) for ''68-'73 340'.

A Remflex #6027 set is on the way. At least their outside ports are the correct shape.

The Remflex gaskets are thicker as mentioned and they are fairly soft (they squish).
I had to pull the passenger side header off one day and the gasket was just fine for reuse.
They don't burn to the engine block or header flanges so they don't get torn up when removed.
You are going to love em.

The Remflex gaskets are thicker as mentioned and they are fairly soft (they squish).
I had to pull the passenger side header off one day and the gasket was just fine for reuse.
They don't burn to the engine block or header flanges so they don't get torn up when removed.
You are going to love em.

^^^^^What he said X2 ^^^^^

I have them on the collectors as well!!

What headers are you using? I am using heddman headers and no matter what I do they leak a little. Even after a new set of aluminum heads there is still and faint tick. I tried just about every gasket on the market and have had no luck. Next step for me is a set of TTI's!

I have used them on both ends of the headers & didn't have a problem. In fact I have reused them twice. Unless I got lucky LOL

What headers are you using? I am using heddman headers and no matter what I do they leak a little. Even after a new set of aluminum heads there is still and faint tick. I tried just about every gasket on the market and have had no luck. Next step for me is a set of TTI's!

That's interesting. Mine are Hedman. They've been on for decades and aren't a problem exhaust-leak wise. The main issue is the RH rear bolt that is thru to the water jacket. That bolt will leak over time and take out a fiber gasket.

My last gasket was a McCord. They are stout. IT would have been fine but that I didn't notice #8 had been knifed on a bit and it started to leak at the 4 o'clock position. The gasket set was a return item to the parts store..'On Sale'. I should have noticed the trim-job...but didn't.

The whole point of finally getting around to doing it right with the Mr. Gasket Coppers (I thought) was to get rid of the seepage problem forever. I do seal that bolt with Ultra Black RTV every time it's out. It will still leak over time.

I have it on good authority that Remflex is the answer! :)

-
Back