Cops and cruise night

-

cudadriver

Reaction score
Sundays, here in Winnipeg, are cruise nights. You can see all kinds from customs to restored and all in between. A lot of ricers too. Our local cops will stop any car but it always seems to be the above mentioned ones. The rusted out Cavalier dragging a muffler doesn't get stopped yet they call it a 'safety check'.
One guy was ticketed for an empty windshield washer tank because they could find nothing else 'wrong' with the car. I don't know what car he has.
What a load of crap. It's a cash grab plain and simple.
They even targeted a ricer car show that was held to support Harvest, an organization that helps feed the needy. They waited down the street when the show broke up and nailed a bunch of them.
They even nailed a guy on a scooter because he had an led brake light the week before.
I agree that some guys speed and race around the streets or have noisy mufflers and are just asking to get stopped. The majority just want to show their cars and enjoy the warm evening.
Many will meet at a local eatery with a big parking lot and spend some coin. Well I've heard that many of the cruisers will now leave their car in the garage on Sundays. I'm sure the restaurant owners who cater to the cruisers will now see less income on Sunday evenings. Maybe a letter to our mayor will help.
Anyone else see this in their town?

In the US we have this thing called Probable Cause, being you guys are North USA, I would assume you do too. Meaning that a cop needs to observe a violation of the law to make a stop. The winshield washer fluid thing, you can not see, so if tat is the only ticket, it can be thrown out. You should look into that and right a letter to the chief of the police there to stop this before it gets out of hand.

In the US we have this thing called Probable Cause, being you guys are North USA, I would assume you do too. Meaning that a cop needs to observe a violation of the law to make a stop. The winshield washer fluid thing, you can not see, so if tat is the only ticket, it can be thrown out. You should look into that and right a letter to the chief of the police there to stop this before it gets out of hand.

They have the right to stop any car for the 'safety check'. I'm sure they did everything by the letter of the law to avoid problems. Btw, with all due respect, we are in Canada, not North USA.

Gee! Friday nights are cruise night in my neck of the woods. The cops show up park their Charger patrol cars, put the hoods up and talk cars. :)

Of course when the cruise night is over they are sitting out side waiting for folks to do stupid things and they get bagged but no hassling for the sake of hassling. Lot cruises actully pay for a detail cop to keep the burn outs under control.

Many of the local police departments have restored 50's and 60's patrol cars that they take to car shows and many shows have a class just for them.

You need to get a group of folks together and start working with the cops.

We pulled right up to a cop at a stop light on the way to Suday's cruise.

I had my pipes uncorked but as I realized we would be right next to him at a stop light I quickly closed them....to late. He rolled his window down and looked over at my wife....he was on her side....and before he can say anything I yelled out SWEET CAR. I should mention that he was driving a dodge charger police car....anyway he say's "wanna race?"

I was caught off guard for sure but quickly recovered and said "No way! I know that's a charger police edition and I here that they are souped up. I don't want any part of that!"

He looked my car up and down and smiled like he didn't believe me and as the light turned green he put his finger up to his lips and did the SHHHHHHH sign and jumped the light as it turned green.

Needless to say we were way impressed with his coolness and went on to the car show up the street with no issues.

We later notice that the same cop we had encountered was sitting across the street from the cruise night watching traffic and us no doubt. As the show came to an end and people left, they were barking their tires off.
He watched and let everyone have there fun without bothering them. I witnessed many cars do this and he never blinked an eye or went after them.

Where do you ever see that these days?

Cool cop no doubt.

Cities make money off tickets, plain and simple. When the interstate opened by my small town, the police force grew from 2 old cars to 8 new cars in 1 year. A large gathering of hot rods, or even ricers, is like a barrel of fish. If you could finish a weeks worth of work (ticket quota) in one night and spend the rest of the week doing real law enforcement stuff, wouldn't you. It's not 100% the cops fault, they just follow the proceedures the best they can.

On one of the local ricer boards, they are saying they're nailing them for no D.O.T. or SAE stamps on their lights. What is MAAC doing about it? Any petition?

Grant

We don't have state inspection here in Georgia nor do we have safety checks.
Probable cause can be weaving within your own lane and they can make it stick.

Most cops around here are really cool especially with the classic car crowd and they are more concerned with getting to their next call rather than intimidating car guys.

I guess I'm trying to say they are busy enough with false home alarms, drunk illegals, and reported thefts, mainly from illegals.
If you see a cop behind you around here you can go 10 miles over the speed limit especially if they are on your *** because they are probably hurrying to another call and you are just in their way.

It is an election year. Maybe it is time to lobby Mayor
Catz to stop this harassment of taxpayers.:munky2:
So far I have been lucky and not been harassed by the blue meanies

Btw, with all due respect, we are in Canada, not North USA.

LOL. I admire your restraint. :cheers:

In Van Nuys, CA, 2nd Wednesday of the month is cruise night on Van Nuys Blvd. This is very well supported by the local businesses and the cops are into the cars as much as any gearhead. 1st time I attended, I pulled up at the curb in my '70 'Cuda after cruising for awhile, and two cops stuck their heads into my passenger window before I even had time to turn the car off. "Cool car!" was all they said.

sad sad sad gov politics they all suck a$$ !

Really a joke no washer fluid com on....:(

Because of the bad economy, tickets are a great money maker for the cities. Unfortunately, they're squeezing the wrong people for revenue. Most everyone I know in this hobby are hard working, good people, with a love for cars.

All the power goes to their heads. It's funny how when they get into a situation they can lie their *** out. Like in BC. There have been a couple incidents involving cops. There was one that happened less than a week ago where 2 cops in Vancouver pushed over a special needs woman, and didn't help her up. Plus Vancouver cops have been caught driving drunk. Also there were two young adults killed up here in northern BC. Both were killed by dumb rookie constables. Both autopsies proved that the cops were lying but no charges were laid. I'm sure if the killers were civilians, they'd be in jail right now. I haven't heard about any problems with cops targeting people up in PG, but then again I don't have my license yet. In my opinion, being a cop is one of those jobs where you require common sense. You need to know when to be cool, and when to take action.

Yeah, I stopped going into the city on Sunday nights. Not that I am afraid of the safety, I do not want to sit there for 1.5 hours. We use to go every Sunday.

So lets see, a restaurant loses out on a supper meal for 4 of us, gas station loses out, snack thru a drive thru on the way home... x how many cars possible that night??

The city has no long term insight and cannot see a dollar in front them, funny seems the business who benefit are awfully quiet also. The cruise use to be a big deal, driver like me coming into the city from afar and enjoying the sights and spending money.

If it was just a little more organized it could become even bigger cruise with more side events at night. Of course the few old grannies might not like it.

Funny thing is how many people actualy live right on Portage to bother them in the first place.... it is all businesses.

In the US we have this thing called Probable Cause, being you guys are North USA, I would assume you do too. Meaning that a cop needs to observe a violation of the law to make a stop.

Cops often do what they want. It's your word against that of a "duly sworn officer of the law". Who do you think a judge normally believes??

30 years ago I was pulled over in a park for not having a front bumper on my '72 Dart. I got out of the car and rapped on the steel bumper with my knuckles to show him that yes, I did indeed have a bumper, it was just painted black. He told me to leave the park. I asked why and he said "You want me to take you to jail right now?" I of course didn't like that option, so I headed towards the park exit. The cop went the other way. As soon as he was out of sight, I came to a stop and smoked the tires through 1st and 2nd.

The cop whipped around and pulled me over. His face was bright red and he said he was going to "write me up for everything in the book". I calmly said to him "What are you going to write me for? You didn't see anything. A loud Harley just left here." He went back to his car, and came back a few minutes later with a single ticket for "excessive noise". I worked at an autoparts store at the time, so I got a receipt for a muffler, and brought it to court with me. Case dismissed...

While I was dating the girl who became my wife I would get pulled over EVERY SINGLE TIME I drove into "her" town. The cops would check the rear bumper height EVERY TIME. Nothing ever changed, the car wasn't jacked up, it had stock leafs in the back and the torsion bars were cranked down a bit to give it a slight rake. Didn't matter... all they wanted to do was to harass a kid with a hotrod. I guess they hoped that one day I would be smoking a "J" when they pulled me over, or sipping on a brew. No such luck... I was never ticketed, just harassed.

I've heard that 90% of cops have hemorrhoids... the other 10% are pure assholes. Sometimes I wonder if those statistics should be switched around...

Don't hate on them too much....I know a few and they have some sad life's for sure....divorce rate is through the roof and the stress from the job is enough to drive you mad.

The trick is to be nice to them....show them some respect and they will cut you some slack.

I hate to say it but on average I get pulled over every 7 months.....been that way since I started driving 30 yrs ago.

I started out with an attitude then in my 30's realized that a liitle love goes a long way.......I guess it's all how you look at it.

Rant over.

Mop

From what I read in the paper today, the Winnipeg Police are bringing our province's insurer ( We only have one choice in Manitoba ) with them, and the MAnitoba Public Insurance Vehicle inspectors are doing the inspections.

It would seem to make more sense for them to offer a FREE "NO Ticket" Inspection available for any of us who have modified older vehicles to run them thru an inspection and be able to make any required repairs without getting a ticket for it.

I have no problem paying for any repairs/changes I have to make to make sure I DO NOT get a ticket. A ticket is a total waste of cash.. Cash I would rather put into my car directly.

And I was a Canadian Policeman for 17 years, 5 of them in a traffic section. Wrote a lot of speeding tickets / seatbelt tickets.. but never Chicken Sh@#t tickets for equipment issues.. Verbal warnings, check out the cars and let em go.

Police should go after the guys that are racing, driving cars that clearly do not meet safety standards IE major chunks of body missing in the passenger compartments, faulty brakes, etc, or those driving like idiots where there are numerous pedestrians LIKE OUR CHILDREN Present.

I never felt bad giving out speeding tickets in school zones.

Ken

I used to piss in the washer tank and bend the squirters to spray other cars, the ones with windows rolled down.
you can aim them to the side or to shoot over you and onto the car behind you.
do the same, next time they light you up, spray'em

Sorry to hear about your luck boys. I was born and raised in Manitoba GO Blue Bombers Go. i finally had enouf of the stupid **** and moved. i lived in Brandon for awile and had my dart parked in my buddys drive way in a back ally and was ticketed because it didnt run. if you had a car that didnt run you had to pay $60 a year. even if it was in your own drive way.so i got a ticket cause i didnt have the permit.

-
Back