Coronet R/T ???

-
First off I want to thank you all again for the range in price and the quick history on this car. I did pass on the info to him but I have to say Im disappointed I even got involved.

I found out that a coworker of his had this car and they got into a discussion of what that car would sell for today. Supposedly he sold that car at some point and sold it as described who knows when..

Guess next time I need to know if this car even exists or ask more questions.. DOH!

its cool ....gave us an excuse to talk B-body ....if you have seen my current build thread then you know I relish B-body talk. :D:D

Why wasn't the 440 optional in the Bee???

Dodge Super Bee

Standard Engine .......... 383/335 HP
Optional Engine ........... 426 Hemi

In 1968, Mopar {Dodge} wanted to keep the costs down on the 'basic' Super Bee.
So they went with the 383, and with limited options.

The 'R/T' Sales and Marketing Department would not permit the 440 to be
installed in the Super Bee.

The Super Bee introduced in mid-year {February 1968}, and was only available
as a 'Pillared Coupe'.

I know, it sounds 'bizarre, but that was the way it was with Mopar.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Standard Engine ......... 383/335 HP
Optional Engine .......... 426 Hemi
Optional Package ........ 440 'Six-Pack'

The other odd thing I found ......talk about Ma mopar being strange sometimes.

In 68 and 9 the superbee in all its plain glory came with the rally dash as standard ....the same dash you find in the charger.

Yet!! the R/T which is the highest trim level available and the most expensive base price of the bunch, came with rally dash as an option. So when looking at 68/9 R/T cars, some had the standard dash and some had the rally. Kinda strange considering their positions on the totem pole here.

In the other building ....Plymouth NEVER offered the rally dash in any 68 or 9 GTX or roadrunner.

of course 70 changed everything across the board

1968 NHRA Classes

Model ............................. Stock ...................... Super/Stock

Coronet R/T '440' ............... D/S or D/SA ........... SS/F or SS/FA

Coronet R/T '426 Hemi' ...... Not Applicable .......... SS/D or SS/DA

1969 NHRA Classes

Coronet R/T '440' ............... E/S or E/SA ............. SS/I or SS/IA

Coronet R/T '426 Hemi' ....... A/S or A/SA ............. SS/E or SS/EA

68-9 b bodies. one thing that plays into all this according to history I have read over the years, Plymouth basically thought of the roadrunner, and dodge said, wow! we need something like that. the bee always played second fiddle to the runner......
Plymouth was the "value leader" and dodge was the more upscale bunch. the dash of the high priced charger, and trying to sell the bee and show buyers why buy the charger or the coronet rt ?????? the plymout h had the long speedo cluster, the gtx had the 150 mark on it.
who knows why they did what!!??? bottom line was selling cars and marking $$$$$$ !! it is interesting to hear from the designers and engineers about all this. most are long gone.....

14:40 is where the coronet gets mentioned

Last edited by a moderator:
the r/t did come standard with the 150 speedo....just not the cooler super bee and charger one.

Roadrunners came with 383, 440, and Hemi, you would have thought the Superbee would have the same options as it was the sister to the Roadrunner...

We've had a few Roadrunners, no Superbees...

Roadrunners came with 383, 440, and Hemi, you would have thought the Superbee would have the same options as it was the sister to the Roadrunner...

We've had a few Roadrunners, no Superbees...

the road runner didn't come with a 440 in 68 or 69 .....only mid year 69 if it were an A12 (m-code) car which is noticeable from a mile away. the road runner and superbee followed the same engine menu. 70 changed everything.

the road runner didn't come with a 440 in 68 or 69 .....only mid year 69 if it were an A12 (m-code) car which is noticeable from a mile away. the road runner and superbee followed the same engine menu. 70 changed everything.

You 'guys' are right. I thought the 440 4 bbl was available in the early Roadrunners...

I've had many more A and E bodies than B... What do I know...

roadrunner was the same story

383 only with optional Hemi only, GTX 440 only with optional hemi only

Ma Mopar has some success stories I figure. the sales of various style A bodies for one. but, the roadrunner and some less extent, the superbee..... wow!! that was the epitomy of the musclecar era to me!
ply sold what 95,000 383 runners in '69? was it. what a successful car and sales. the whole idea was so simple but so right !!!
by 70 the runner was getting loaded down with more options and frills.
and wow! the 69 1/2 M codes 440-6 cars. lift of fiberglass hoods!
the hemi runner! the superbirds and daytonas!
and yes the coronets Rt's, the GTX, the charger! the sport satellite.
what an era!!!!!

Most of this Thread is dated. Here is my input. Perhaps now being 2020 prices have increased dramatically since many big block B bodies are being advertised and selling for much stronger prices. The 1969 Coronet R/T Convertible is now bringing between 60-80k for the 440 (excludes the super rare Hemi convertible that I think was 500kish.

As far as a 1969 Coronet R/T six pack goes, it is know that Mr. Norm in Chicago was selling a few dealership converted six pack cars. I don't believe these were labeled like the Dart GSS's but documents would at least indicate that if you have a 69 Coronet R/T six pack it could be an original Mr' Norms car. Just like the GSS, not a factory production but highly recognized and collectible. Those are most likely in the 100k range today. Does anyone have a log of Mr Norm productions for all cars? The A-body GSS is well documented so I'm guessing the B body has to have a record too.

The 69 Coronet R/T or 500, quick tale is that it has what looks like 3 tail lights across the rear panel. The other Coronet models didn't have that.
My 69 coronet RT had the 3 tail lights , but the center ones were fake, I always wanted to make it work , but never did . Traded it for a 68 427 vette and sold the vette 23hrs later - rattling rough riding piece of s----, that wouldnt hang w/ the coronet .

-
Back