Correct 5X4 Cragar SS 7/16 Lug Nut Torque?

-

Moparaley

Reaction score
Anyone know the correct torque on these wheels for the 7/16 lug nuts?

Thanks.

Most lug nuts/ studs that size are torqued to 75-80 ft/lb. For years (before anyone cared)
a 1/2" impact wrench was good.

I torque the mag wheels on my Coronet at 90ftlbs .. after having them come loose on me by just using the impact gun !

I've started out at 65 ft. lbs. but it sounds like I'm too light. I've used unilug Cragars on my B Body cars in the past and various times have had them come loose. I only decided on 5X4 Cragar SS's for my Barracuda because they are not unilug but after just impact and lug wrench tightening the other day, the fronts started coming loose. Started to rethink those Cragar SS wheels again. When I had them on my Roadrunner, I was constantly checking the tightness of them and got tired of that so I went to Magnum 500's and sold the unilug SS's. Cragar SS's are the only wheels I have ever had a problem coming loose.

65-75 ft/lbs. They come loose because of the horrible soft washers Cragar supplies. Get some McGard lug nuts, they come with thick stainless steel washers.

65-75 ft/lbs. They come loose because of the horrible soft washers Cragar supplies. Get some McGard lug nuts, they come with thick stainless steel washers.

Bingo! I torqued with tq ratchet and broke a nut (on car) at approx 85. I checked factory service manual and I believe it states 65-75.
Oh and what a pain finding new nut. Cragar SS

I have spares if you need you Steve

Thanks John! Taunton Tire ordered me in some that worked but something I thought would be easy....not so much. FYI Cragar doesn't make nuts or rims anymore. But the boobs on the nice girl at Taunton Tire were as big as my BFG's and needed to be mounted!

I have bought the 7/16 Cragar SS lug nuts from Summit a year ago, they were readily available and reasonably priced.

I torqued them to 65-70 ft.lb and have not had any problems with them coming loose.

I have bought the 7/16 Cragar SS lug nuts from Summit a year ago, they were readily available and reasonably priced.

I torqued them to 65-70 ft.lb and have not had any problems with them coming loose.

I cranked mine up from 65 to 70 ft. lbs. and drove the car around some more tonight. They seem to be staying tight. Time will tell.

Thanks.

Pulled my Cragar lug nuts and washers off and found that at 75 ft lbs, I bent the crap out of my new washers. What's up with that. Chinese washers now I suppose.

The washers have always been crap! Years ago I worked in a machine shop and made some 1/8" thick Cragar washers out of hardened stainless steel. They worked great. Sad thing is, there is no "standard" washer that will work. Believe me, I looked everywhere. Recently, I saw that McGard makes nuts with s/s washers for Cragars. Did not check on the exact sizes made though. I think if you check your shank size and washer size, they might be shown here: http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/lug-nuts/lug-nut-seat-style/shank/washer-included/yes?N=4294947616%2B400067%2B4294947603%2B4294920298%2B4294947790&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&tw=lug%20nut&sw=Lug%20Nuts

The washers have always been crap! Years ago I worked in a machine shop and made some 1/8" thick Cragar washers out of hardened stainless steel. They worked great. Sad thing is, there is no "standard" washer that will work. Believe me, I looked everywhere. Recently, I saw that McGard makes nuts with s/s washers for Cragars. Did not check on the exact sizes made though. I think if you check your shank size and washer size, they might be shown here: http://www.summitracing.com/search/...lt&SortOrder=Ascending&tw=lug nut&sw=Lug Nuts

In working with this I'm finding that the 09005-4 lug nuts called out by Cragar for the 5X4 SS's have multiple issues.

1. The shank length is too long. They extend past the wheel itself so it will not press the rim against the drum. I milled these off to fit.

2. The head is not 3/4" as called out in the specs. It is actually 11/16". Too small. The Cragar SS wheel holes have a chamfer/lead in into the mounting hole. This lug nut head, when the nuts are torqued to 75 ft lbs, will sink the washer into the chamfer of the hole.

3. Because of what I explained in #2, the washer OD is too small as well. It barely covers half the wheel hole and as mentioned, will actually concave once tightened down.

I checked the specs on a comparable Mcgard I saw in your link, #61001. The shank length looks good at .746 vs. the .767 of the Cragar, but the shank diameter may be too large at .679 vs. .592 of the cragar. I need to check the cragar hole size to see if this will fit.

I'm going to call Summit today.

Thanks for the info!

You'd be surprised how cheap it might be to get some heavy washers made. I may even still have the drawing I gave my guy.

Those .679 shank OD McGard lug nuts are too large. I would have to be down in the .600 range to fit these wheels.

Those .679 shank OD McGard lug nuts are too large. I would have to be down in the .600 range to fit these wheels.

Finally got resolved, I think. Called Summit tech line and after some research on their part found that their advertised shank lug nuts for these 5X4's do not fit. The new style wheel, as they call it, takes the 60 degree conical lug nut. I've sent the shank style back so hopefully this gets me going.

What's more, they rust immediately.
I keep a ratchet and 3" extension with an 11/16 on it and check mine all the time.

Any thought on using the threadlock that is temporary?

What's more, they rust immediately.
I keep a ratchet and 3" extension with an 11/16 on it and check mine all the time.

Any thought on using the threadlock that is temporary?

I doubt it will help. The problem is that the nuts are harder than the washers, so as you drive the nuts dig deeper into the washers, and you lose the torque. I doubt if the nuts have even turned. As I stated before, if you are really serious get a machine shop to make some 1/8 thick stainless steel (preferably some good hard s/s like 17-4PH) washers that fit tight on the shanks of the nuts.

-
Back