correct emblems and placement on 70 swinger

-

snowmobiler7c

Reaction score
I have a 70 swinger im prepping to be painted in the near future. My problem is it was painted back in the early 90s and all emblems were removed. Now i have no clue where the exact placement of dart swinger emblems should be on the quarter panels. Does anyone have a measurement to get close??

Also on the trunk should there be a dodge emblem there or a dart swinger emblem??

I do have the origional emblems and some repops that i was given. But not sure how they attach? They have the sharp pins on the back im guessing there is a washer type item that must hold them on from the rear??

Any help will be appreciated thanks
mark

I am out of town so as I am not near my cars.

Is your car a swinger 340?

that decides placement and type of emblems.

Joel
860416-8434

No my car is a swinger 318 car. I was not aware the two had differant emblems. I have the originals that say dart swinger for the sides they were left in the glove box but nothing for the trunk at all.

There's a Dodge on the right rear of the trunk and one on the center of the hood. They both have different pin placement on them. There's also a Swinger on each quarter under the quarter glass. And the pentastar on the right fender. I can send measurements later if you need.

Std Swinger
Picture005.jpg

1/4 Panels. I have a car with the emblems off of it. I'll try to get some measurements for you.

I made these measurements for a member earlier, maybe they will help. From a Swinger 340, although I don't know if there is a difference from regular ones.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.asp...A340FAB3C57D8509!104&authkey=!AFVFCwSXkrGbe00

All measurements are made as follows on both sides.

1) Run a piece of tape along mid bodyline, upper edge of tape is the body line.

2) All horizontal measurements are referenced from the edge of quarter panel at door. I set a mark 1" from the edge to use as my reference and then added the 1" to measurement from that point. This ensured that all measurements were from a set distance as it is a little difficult to use the edge repeatedly as it is not truly square.

3) Using a 90 degree right angle, measure up from the body line at marks to locate the center of the holes.

Both left and right are different.

Driverside measurements from door openings.

1) 11-1/2" H, 5-3/4" V (Dart)
2) 14-7/8" H, 3-1/2" V
3) 15-1/4" H, 5-3/4" V (Dart)
4) 16-9/16" H, 5-3/8" V
5) 18-3/16" H, 5-5/16" V
6) 20-3/8" H, 4-9/16" V

I'd use #1 to locate Dart fore/aft and vertical measurement for both pins.
And #2 and #6 to locate outer Swinger emblem, paint to fing middle two.

Passenger side measurements from door openings.

1) 6-9/16" H, 4-3/8" V
2) 8-11/16" H, 5-1/4" V
3) 10-5/8" H, 5-3/8" V
4) 11-3/8" H, 5-7/8" V (Dart)
5) 12-1/8" H, 3-11/16" V
6) 15-9/16" H, 6" V (Dart) it appears this emblem is actually crooked on mine, and should be same as fourth one.

I'd use #1 & #5 to set the Swinger emblem and put a dab of paint to find the center two locations.
Then use #4 to set the fore/aft Dart pin, and make the Vertical the same for #6.

Grant

Here's some photos from my 318 Swinger. Things to consider is how the holes were filled. If they were welded, it can be difficult to cleanly drill back out depending upon the weld. You might have to shift them a fraction.

They may have just been filled with filler. Look behind the panels and look for either weld marks or body filler coming through like dried Play Dough. Either way there's likely a skim coat of filler over the entire area.

Regardless of the measurements and method you use, I would tape up the entire area to protect the paint. Make your marks on the tape and then check the marks against the actual pegs on the emblem. Adjust your marks as needed making certain the emblem is straight and level. Remove the tape after drilling the holes. Measure ten times drill once, right?

The retainers are like this but shop around for the best deal.

The emblems on both sides of my car are not placed exactly the same. The measurements on each side are also different due to the curved top edge of the quarter panel.

The top photo is the hood Dodge, the next is the Dodge on the trunk followed by the left side and the right side.

Hope this helps along with everything else posted.

Attachments

• hood emblem.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 439
  • emblem trunk.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 494
  • left quarter.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 587
  • right quarter.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 431
Thanks alot guys that is great, couldnt get any better info than this!!! My holes on the side of the car were actually welded closed, im not concerned with the paint of the car since it will be repainted very soon. Hopefully i will have the suspension all back together in the next day or two and i can start messing with the emblems before i ship it off for paint. Thanks again everyone!
Mark

If your holes are welded up, you may want to just use some 3M double-sided adhesive tape to put the emblems back on, instead of drilling new holes... that way, if you (or the next owner of the car) ever decide to go without emblems, they don't need to have the holes welded and repainted.

Take the back interior panels off and see if you can see where the holes were.
You should be able to see the welds/holes. See if the holes will punch out.

If your holes are welded up, you may want to just use some 3M double-sided adhesive tape to put the emblems back on, instead of drilling new holes... that way, if you (or the next owner of the car) ever decide to go without emblems, they don't need to have the holes welded and repainted.

That's a great option. My '72 Satellite Sebring had all the emblems on with tape.

my panels/window are already off and i can see some of the spots its welded up with a flashlight, but too hard to make the correct placement without the measurements, the innner body sheet metal is in the way. These measurements should do the trick.

3m adhesive tape might be an option if i decide to go that way, i guess i would have to grind off the studs on the emblems. I will probley just drill the holes out, I never plan on selling the car so the next owner will just have to like the emblems lol.

-
Back