Correct Power Steering Pump for 68 383 Barracuda???

-

xLURKxDOGx

"An angel fat, at satan's feast"
Reaction score
I have a pump that was supposed to be from a 68 383 barracuda and was wondering if anyone knew the correct part numbers for it? I read somewhere that they didn’t come in 68 so I’m slightly confused. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jake

B1C5E486-A7AF-426D-A1E9-D4C904DFF0A6.jpeg

D91DFDDC-BDE9-4FFA-B861-9EE5AC298A0C.jpeg

EDF163A7-3475-4030-9FF5-470813271C91.jpeg

I can check the part number on my factory 69 Dart GTS with power steering. Here is a picture of the pump and one of the original hose.

69 GTS engine.jpg

101_1677.JPG

Barracuda's had power steering before Darts did, so I can believe it started in 1968.

Barracuda's had power steering before Darts did, so I can believe it started in 1968.
Yeah, I saw some conflicting information on that. It does appear to be the same from what I can see based on your pictures. Thanks again for the help.

Jake

When I ordered my '68 cuda 383, P/S was not on the order form so it arrived without it. My current '68 cuda 383 is a very late '68 and has a factory installed P/S, confirmed on the build sheet. My pump is a TRW with a smaller pulley. My original hose is not like the one pictured, but the only available replacement hose does look like the one pictured. Good luck.

Do you have a picture of the replacement hose as I had to have one made being I could not find one ever close to the original.

100_2630.JPG
100_2631.JPG
100_2632.JPG
100_2632.JPG
With "shelter in place" I have time. The old hose pictured is the original that came on the car while the new hose pictured is the new replacement. Included a shot of the pump too. I went 'round and 'round with this P/S stuff awhile ago and here is what I learned. Pump- don't fret over wether you should have a TRW or a Federal pump. There are minor differences only. Hose- exact replacements don't exist unless you want to go NOS, and I would never put a 50 year old hose on my car. No-one lists a replacement hose for this car (maybe because some say it didn't come with P/S ?) The secret is that any small block P/S hose will work, and that is what you should buy. Any listing for P/S hose for this car is actually for a small block and this is what you see in the picture new. Good luck.

Your original hose is the same as mine except the steel end is bent over 90 180 degrees. Mine is exactly as I took it off my car, I am the second owner. I have never seen a factory 383 A-Body with a small diameter solid pulley like yours...

I believe there were different pumps, in my experience. Regardless of year.
As well as PS steering gearbox....

Not sure of when/what year however.....

Your original hose is the same as mine except the steel end is bent over 90 180 degrees. Mine is exactly as I took it off my car, I am the second owner. I have never seen a factory 383 A-Body with a small diameter solid pulley like yours...
I agree, it looks like a 67 273 pump.

Jake

-
Back