correct starter relay

-

blmopar1

Reaction score
I am redoing my 69 notchback and have converted it to a 4 spd. My question is Im replacing the starter relay and see that a stick and an auto are different. What are the difference between the two. Thanks

Depending on if your car has a clutch switch NSS or no NSS the relay will have one terminal grounded or not. You can use either, but if you do not have any type of NSS you will need to ground one if the relay terminals .

Manual trans before NSS introduction (note the grounded terminal)
Screenshot_20230406-085638.png

Automatic trans (note the terminal it goes to the NSS, grounding it makes it work just like the manual trans relay)

Screenshot_20230406-085704.png

Last edited:
That will work IF you ground the NSS terminal but is not "technically" the correct one. Stick cars got the one with the soldered corner--grounding the coil as Dana pictured, up until 70 when the first clutch interlock came out, and they then got the same one that the automatics had always used, which is what you bought

Depending on if your car has a clutch switch NSS or no NSS the relay will have one terminal grounded or not. You can use either, but if you do not have any type of NSS you will need to ground one if the relay terminals .

Manual trans before NSS introduction (note the grounded terminal)
View attachment 1716074057
Automatic trans (note the terminal it goes to the NSS, grounding it makes it work just like the manual trans relay)

View attachment 1716074058
That will work IF you ground the NSS terminal but is not "technically" the correct one. Stick cars got the one with the soldered corner--grounding the coil as Dana pictured, up until 70 when the first clutch interlock came out, and they then got the same one that the automatics had always used, which is what you bought

-
Back