Correct transmission for the car?

-

68 CUDA FORMULA S

Reaction score
How can I tell if my 74 318 Scamp came with this 727 transmission, is there a code somewhere that identifies the transmission.
Thanks
Bob

I'm not a "numbers" guy but I believe there's sposed to be a partial VIN on the transmission

highly unlikely it came with a 727 originally when the 904 was more than plenty for a 318

passenger side of bell housing has a flat pad and on that pad should be the partial of a vin number (last six digits and plant code) ....you can see if that number matches your vin on the dash

Attachments

• vinpad.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 200
On the drivers side pan rail there are a couple series of numbers also, which will tell you the year of the trans and its application! On the build sheet, if your car has one, it will tell you if your car was equipped with a 904 or 727, which you would then have to put together the date of the trans and the build sheet info to surmise whether it is the original trans, if it doesn't have the partial VIN! Geof

The correct transmission is the one that delivers the most power to the rear wheels. Called the 9-0-4!

There are some numbers stamped on the trans near the linkage hook-up area. copy them down and look them up.

[ame]http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/transguide.pdf[/ame]

Doubtful it's a 727. 904's are smaller. I am not a numbers person but I think the data plate calls out either standard, auto or 4-speed. My Scamp was 318/904. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply Rainy, I did look at that pad but there are no numbers visible there at all so I can't match the vin. And Geof thanks for the info, those numbers are hard to read but it looks like PK4058302 6177 then either 4300 or 4350 can't really tell no build sheet so it doesn't look like that will work. This trans that I got with this car is a 727 and the PO had it mated up with the 1971 340 motor that I got when I bought the car also. Karl sent me a chart with a bunch of numbers to match up what this trans did come in from the factory only problem is that the numbers on this trans are not on the chart that he sent. The numbers are very clear so I know that I am reading them right, they are 3743102-2 if anyone else has a chart that can tell me what it came from please chime in. I also know that this is not the trans that came from the factory because the yoke on the drive shaft does not fit the trans so I am guessing that this drive shaft is for a 904 trans. One more thing, after reading about trans swaps it looks like the cooler lines and linkage will all work from the 904 to the 727 the Scamp came with the 727 trans mount which says that's what I need to install it, but I will either have to find a 727 yoke, put it on this drive shaft and have the drive shaft shortened or find a A body 727 drive shaft.
Thanks for all the reply's from everyone.
Bob

Attachments

• 074.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 170
The correct trans for this car was a 904 and as of right now I have reinstalled a 904 back into it. Thanks to all who chimed in.
Bob

When I bought this car the drive train was out of it and the 727 was what came with the sale. Beings it was all new and ready to go in I was hoping to use it, but too much to change to make it work. Even though I did put it in and it bolted right up I decided to take it back out and put a 904 into it. Now everything fits just right.
Bob

-
Back