Correct Voltage regulator for 100amp Single wire Alt?

-

Wayne Brown

Reaction score
I have upgraded to a 100 amp single wire chromed alternator on my project dart and I can seem to get charging voltage at the battery. I believe the stock VR from the Swinger's slant six was cooked before I knew it. I don't want to spend endless dollars trying stuff out. Is there a know all/end all VR to get me charging?

The voltage regulator is built in. Do not wire a wire alternator through your factory VR.

Self exciting (one-wire) Alternator fix Wiring Problems

What is a self exciting (one-wire)alternator? How to solve Alternator Wiring Problems

Self-Exciting Alternator makes no need for Alternator Wiring Diagram
The Self-Exciting alternator is an alternator that has a special voltage regulator that doesn't need an ignition wire to activate it.This is usually based on a chevy alternator type and only requires a battery wire connected to the battery terminal. The voltageregulator which controls alternator output contains circuitry that uses the residual magnetism in the alternators rotor fields to determine when to turn the alternator on and off, a standard Delco alternator would not do this without an ignition activation wire.The regulator does this by sensing the RPM the alternator is turning, when it gets to a certain rpm the voltage regulator "turns on". Typically you start the vehicle, rev the motor slightly with the si series and alternator starts charging. With the CS series delco alternator with the self exciting voltage regulator you do not need to rev the engine.

................And I seriously hope you are not trying this with stock factory wiring.........

(IE the ammeter circuit) Also bear in mind that "one wire" alternators (which I dislike for most stuff) needs to have an OVERSIZE charging wire, or else the "sense" point which is at the alternator will run low at the battery

The voltage regulator is built in. Do not wire a wire alternator through your factory VR.

Self exciting (one-wire) Alternator fix Wiring Problems

What is a self exciting (one-wire)alternator? How to solve Alternator Wiring Problems

Self-Exciting Alternator makes no need for Alternator Wiring Diagram
The Self-Exciting alternator is an alternator that has a special voltage regulator that doesn't need an ignition wire to activate it.This is usually based on a chevy alternator type and only requires a battery wire connected to the battery terminal. The voltageregulator which controls alternator output contains circuitry that uses the residual magnetism in the alternators rotor fields to determine when to turn the alternator on and off, a standard Delco alternator would not do this without an ignition activation wire.The regulator does this by sensing the RPM the alternator is turning, when it gets to a certain rpm the voltage regulator "turns on". Typically you start the vehicle, rev the motor slightly with the si series and alternator starts charging. With the CS series delco alternator with the self exciting voltage regulator you do not need to rev the engine.

So I get this right??
The only wire that I need to have run, is a wire from the stud post off the rear of my new "1 wire alternator" over to the positive battery terminal?? With a really nice NEW! gauge wire? The other two "male paddle connectors" (seemingly attached through to the brushes)" off the back of the chromed alternator are left blank??abandoned? no joy?? Obviously NOT an auto electric guy here.....

Imagine what happens when you find the directions (found HERE on FABO!)
Now that I have the single wire alt wired correctly with new heavier gauge wires
(charging nicely with revs) -thank you very much, what use is the Voltage Regulator on the firewall. I am using a new set of gauges (Summit) under the dash, pretty much ignoring the factory idiot lights in the cluster, except the speedo and fuel gauge.
Just unplug the thing and remove to VR?????
What will I be killing??

Yes. Not needed.
I lost track of this thread. Glad you got it sorted.

-
Back