correct z bar for early a body SB 4spd

-

larryj

Reaction score
Need some advice please! The Z bar in my '66 Dart went bad. I ordered a new one for 64-66 A Body SB 4-spd, but it is not the same as the one I have and won't work.
My Z bar as pictured is 7" in length. Came out of a '65 Dart GT, which was the donor car for my entire A833 4-speed setup. I have a '76 318 engine. Should all be the same, right?
The one I ordered measured 7.5" in length, and there is no way it will work. Simply too long. I called Classic Industries, and they confirmed that is the one listed for early SB A body 4spd.

Any ideas?

The other dilemna I have is my "original" z bar that came from the '65 has weld spots in the center that look suspiciously like a modification...not sure. Only sure that the 7.5" is too long.

The history of this issue is buried in this thread: Z-Bar to frame issue
DSC_0821.JPG

I’ll measure the Z Bar just pulled from an original 273 4 speed early A.

And here’s 3 pics of early A Z Bars:

First one is from an original 65 Barracuda 273 4 speed - 7.5 in - just pulled last week
516077D4-624A-4BE8-99AE-82A5B26CE509.jpeg

Next one is from a 65 Valiant Slant 6 4 speed - 7.5 inches
9EB259D2-4679-4B52-A3A2-1FDDF6770170.jpeg

And the last one is from a 65 Dart GT 273 4 speed - also 7.5 inches
CB58278F-D708-497D-BA1A-55380AEF8383.jpeg

Can’t say why your new one won’t work

Original poster's Z-bar looks modified. I used a bar from a '64 Barracuda in my '65 Valiant 4-door and it fit alright except I had to trim the plastic bushing halves (don't remember the very minor clearance problem there). Whatever body holes needed were already stamped out of the four door to accommodate the pedals.

The original is for the 9.5" clutch and bell housing. I bet you have a later bellhousing and a bigger 10" clutch. Check with Brewster's. if I remember they have one for a early A body with a later bellhousing.

65 Dartman, thanks for the great pics and info. Thanks to the others who replied. I sure am left wondering what the heck I have now. Mine must have been modified at some point in time.

I see that Brewer's Performance sell a 7" z bar for 67-76 a-body SB with 10.5 in bellhousing. Does anyone know if the arms off of the z bar are the same angles? If they are, that should work and that is probably what I need.

Thanks again guys!

Look further down the list on Brewsters. They have a 64-66 conversion z bar for putting a later style bellhousing with a 10.5" clutch in a early a body. You need to figure out what you have before you start throwing parts at it. The 67-75 A bodies have wider engine compartment and frame rails.

Look further down the list on Brewsters. They have a 64-66 conversion z bar for putting a later style bellhousing with a 10.5" clutch in a early a body. You need to figure out what you have before you start throwing parts at it. The 67-75 A bodies have wider engine compartment and frame rails.
Just saw it. I am going to call Brewer's and talk it over with them. Is there a simple way to figure out what bellhousing you have? Is it just a matter of measuring the width?

Mine is aluminum. Not sure where the numbers are located, or if I can easily access them. Thanks

They never made the early a body 9.5" in aluminum. They were all cast iron. So I guess that helps somewhat. I am thinking the casting numbers are on part that faces the transmission. There might be another or a stamped # somewhere. I bet Brewsters can tell you.

They never made the early a body 9.5" in aluminum. They were all cast iron.
Great info! I will see if I can get the numbers, but it certainly looks like a swap was done at some point in time to a later 10.5 in bellhousing. The A833 4 spd is likely still the original from the 65 donor car though because it doesn't have a yoke tailshaft. And I've owned this car 20 years...

The 9.5" clutches were marginal at best. It is a pretty common swap to use the later and bigger clutch.

I'd just mod the new one to match the old one. If you can't do it, take it to a machine shop. Mods like this are very similar to the mods done to install some headers, or to use 6 cyl z-bar in a sm blk.

-
Back