Correction, very stubron intake gasket

-

73Dart340Sport

73dart340
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I cant type and help my son with his homework.

I meant intake manifold gasket, not head gasket! No wonder the confusion. The intake manifold gasket has developed a leak. i would like to replace it. However, after removing the bolts, the manifold is acting like it is glued on. (gaskacinch I believe was used). I have tried to drive a prybar between the head and the intake, however I'm cautious about using too much force to drive it as I cant replace metal that I gouge. I drove a screwdriver inbetween the head and the manifold, however when I tried to pry it broke.

Any suggestions?

Just a thought. If you make a plate for the carb perch. If you have a chain hoist? Put a little pressure on the manifold by lifting the engine slightly with that plate. Then take a pry bar with a wide flange on it and exert some pressure on the manifold. If you have a buddy, use two pry bars. I've never done this, but it might be worth a try. (be gentle) Howard

I'd try a flat bar in between the block and the front of the manifold, drive it in gently with a hammer and then pry it. You could also try soaking the gasket with some lacquer thinnner to see if it softens the glue, then try the flat bar.

BEFORE you start prying, make sure that EVERY bolt is out. I've heard a lot of horror stories about people leaving 1 bolt in and then prying. Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in. God I love my big block for intake changes.

don

Yep make sure ALL the bolts are out. Your best bet is to stick a prybar in the bypass hose fitting and just pop it up. It will come out no problem...or you can stick it down a runner, but really i'd go for the bypass nipple. Its low, you can get in there nice and deep to get lots of leverage. it will pop right up..

Do NOT pry/pound anything between the block and intake or intake and heads. Thats a no-no :sad1:

On stubborn intakes I've had good luck with a pry bar between the head and intake at the heat riser. You have a lip there. Remove at least one valve cover as they sometimes capture the intake. And, as stated above, make sure all bolts are out.

-
Back