Corroded Trunk Seams

-

Cooter

Reaction score
So I'm not sure what to make of this.

The dart turned out really well after soda blasting, but the trunk seams all have rust in them. This one is the worst, although the two under the trunk hinges are just as bad. Access is going to be a ***** cause the hinge support piece is also spot-welded at that area.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what caused this? All the seams were coated with white seam sealer (factory) but had started to flake off where the rust is.

And if you have a parts-car 67-9 Dart that you'd cut the seams out, I'd pay for them.

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

Anyone have any thoughts as to what caused this?

Water! Moisture got between the two pieces and made rust, the rust swelled to let more moisture in and made more rust. The factory only dipped the bodys in anticorrosion stuff up to top of the wheel tubs so any thing that gets even slightly damp above that gets pretty rusty :angry6:. It would have been nice if they would have dipped the whole body but then we wouldn't have so much fun fixing roof seams, window frames and trunk gutters then.

Hahaha. Living in the Northwest, you'd think I would have been able to answer that.

I guess it makes sense. Along a flat seamless piece of metal, water cannot hide. But toss a seam into the works and water has found a home. I would have thought that white sealer crap would have helped prevent this. Perhaps it was porous? I have no doubts also that they slobbered that crap on there and didnt get completely covered.

Water! Moisture got between the two pieces and made rust, the rust swelled to let more moisture in and made more rust. The factory only dipped the bodys in anticorrosion stuff up to top of the wheel tubs so any thing that gets even slightly damp above that gets pretty rusty :angry6:. It would have been nice if they would have dipped the whole body but then we wouldn't have so much fun fixing roof seams, window frames and trunk gutters then.

Tell me about it. I saved this area for last. Right at the corners of the trunk drip channel. Mine were filled with bondo by the PO and painted over..........untill they rusted back through.

MVC-001F (Custom).JPG

MVC-002F (Custom).JPG

-
Back