Corrosion

-

Southside

Reaction score
I have a Mopar friend moving down here to Florida. He is moving within a quarter mile of the ocean beach and wants to know how much concern is there for salt air corrosion on his Dart. I do not live anywhere near the coast so I thought some of you living on or near the ocean could answer that. Also any helpful hints to protect the car if there is concern. Thanks.

If it sits outside, I would be concerned. A car cover would help. If it's stored in a garage, not so much. Either way, I would do a fresh water rinse on a regular basis.

I live close to the beach of NC. Through high school, I parked my car on the waterfront as I waited tables at a local seafood restaurant. I would wash my car during the day, at night, it was covered with a thin film of salt spray (and there were no waves there). I would HIGHLY recommend undercoating a driver, keeping it indoor and dry whenever possible, and make sure you have no exposed bare metal (such as scratches). Keeping it clean and waxed will make the most difference. We have no salt on the roads here since it rarely ices or snows. You may notice the typical rust on the rockers if you don't keep it clean.

Kind of related, I guess. Former neighbor parked a rust free 442 in a garage that was on Lake Michigan. Garage had a dirt floor. Dave went to retrieve the car a 6-7 years later and car had a ton of rot. Suppose if the floor were concrete might have helped?

Right, the floor outgases moisture and other corrosive chemicals. If you are going to keep a "dirt" floor, then it needs a moisture barrier put down. Same with a concrete floor. It does no good if there is no moisture barrier under it.

Right, the floor outgases moisture and other corrosive chemicals. If you are going to keep a "dirt" floor, then it needs a moisture barrier put down. Same with a concrete floor. It does no good if there is no moisture barrier under it.
Thanks for the explanation....

Our soil here about 10 miles from the water is quite sandy. It is made up of shell and if you dig for a well, you come up with all sorts of old sharks teeth, shell, and bone. The local gravel pit hit a large area of tiny tan bivalves. As you can imagine, the minerals in the soil really can do a hurting on anything iron. Many people around here have problems with kidney stones (caused by mineral deposits in the water such as calcium). You can't run a sprinkler close to the house since the water can leave rust stains on the side.

My totally rust free Cuda lived in California from 1968 until I moved to south Louisiana in 2003. Thanks to just 3 years of Gulf air exposure (not really even that close to the coast), it now has a few little rust bubbles down low. :-(

Thanks alot for all your input. I really appreciate the help all of you have given me.

After spending the first two years of my college career in Daytona Beach, I have found the worst enemy to be the fine sand that is found on the beaches and roads down there. It gets into everything and it holds water where it accumulates. You need to regularly flush out all nooks and crannies with fresh water.

-
Back