Cost of Paint and Bodywork?!

-
I am currently about 85% doen with my '68 FB FS 340 and will have probaby $60K into it total. But I didn't skimp in any of the body work or paint. New rear quarter panels, rear valance, USCT Stage 2 stiffening kit all cost about $15K at AMD. But boy did they do good work. I got the last '68 rear quarter panels they had befor going to the universal ones without side marker holes. Cars Remember When in Littleton, CO did the paint which involved complete cleaning, blocking, priming, blocking, paint, and Cut & Buff of the final product. Trim was polished to new condition. This cost already $40K. But the results are stunning. Black paing is less expensive but the body work for a black cars is probably 20% or more involved to get it right. I was fortunate to have a solid car that required no floor pans or other rust repairs, just rear Sheetmetal. Mostly to cover damage from prior accidents before I purchased the car in '69. Yes, I have had it 54 years.
They used a PPG industrial primer that is harder and more corrosion resistant than automotive primer so the car should last another 50 years. Lot's of money, but it will be close to perfect when done. Not a show car as I want to drive it, but still a stunning black Cuda.

20230406_124729[1].jpg

20230419_131557[1].jpg

^^^ You have owned that car a LONG time and glad you were able to get such great work done on your car! I also applaude you in that you will drive and enjoy it after all is done!!

$20K is a lot for "just paint", though there are extremely pricey paints. Most likely, there was a lot of body work and even rust repair. Looks like the engine was out to paint the engine bay. I would expect most shops would price by labor hours and materials and the owner approves each step, which would thus be "fair price" since agreed by all.

If you want to go cheap, search for the Moparts thread "Paint yer car for $50" (or such) by a guy "67ChargerYeeHaw" (or such). It was said to be the most read post on the internet years ago. Ran to ~400 replies with photos of other's home efforts. Could no longer find it in a search a year ago, so if anyone does, please link. Most there used thinned-down Rustoleum w/ roll & tip method. I used that to paint a camping trailer w/ flat aluminum panels, using InterLux Brightsides "boat paint", single-stage (no hardener) solid-color polyurethane w/ uV protectants. Came out smooth and glossy w/ almost no runs even on vertical panels, other than at corners where the paint squashes out of the roller, but a car body has many such curves so trickier. I used Brightsides on my 1965 Dart, mixing a little yellow with white. I had done the interior and engine bay earlier, which came out OK for those areas. I sprayed in the trunk and rolled elsewhere. Wasn't perfect when I later sprayed the outside. I tried an electric rattle sprayer, but gave problems (sprayer leaked) so changed to an HVLP. Same month I sprayed 2 vehicles with normal 2-part polyurethane and HVLP sprayer while I had a paint booth rigged in a carport w/ tarps and box fan w/ house filter. The auto paint was mainly because I had to match existing new-paint on half of one car (swapped panels after crash). Took a sunroof in and they matched the color perfectly (modern grey-blue). Since left-over paint, I did our old minivan w/ failed clearcoat.

All came out about the same with significant orange-peel and a few runs on vertical panels. I wet-sanded all down w/ 1000 grit, even 600 grit first on some w/ deeper valleys, until no "shiny spots" left, which means perfectly flat. I attacked the runs the next day while still soft, cutting the end drop off w/ a razor, then 600-grit w/ small block until flat. Also wet-sand while still soft to make the job quicker. I sanded thru to primer a few places, plus found a few places with primer showing thru after wet-sanding, so added paint there w/ tiny air-brush sprayer. Can't fix those if basecoat-clearcoat paint, nor the later chips which will surely happen. Kind of amazing how once it is all sanded dull to 1000-grit, then 2000-grit, passes with high-cut compound w/ DA buffer, then finer grades quickly make it mirror-smooth.

If I ever paint another vehicle, I will only use 2-part automotive paint (w/ reducer and hardener). While the 1-part (air-dry) laid down similar (neither great) and was a bit easier to sand, it seemed much softer. Even a week later, you can smell it as you wet-sand will come off if you wipe with Paint Thinner (or Lacquer Thinner). Will probably last well since it works on boats in sunlight, and lasted well on my trailer, but harder is better for a car, since people are more fussy over scratches than a boat or trailer. The 2-part auto paint wasn't much more expensive (~$250 for 1 gal w/ reducer & hardener). I definitely wouldn't go ultra-cheap like in the thread since those who used Rustoleum had to go up to 10 passes of rolling paint then sanding, since must lay down Rustoleum in very thin coats.

I just painted repaired dents on my 1984 M-B. It was 2 door bottoms (below horizontal trim) and the top rear of quarter panel and trunk on one side. Matching the color on the later was tricky since didn't want to repaint the whole trunk or quarter. I used Brightsides white, after their Pre-kote primer. First pass was too-white to match, plus some runs I sanded out. I had some leftover gray 2-part, but also a polyurethane, so used a few drops of grey until test-dabs appeared to match the car's white (or off-white). The second spraying effort came out better with no significant runs. That was with a touchup siphon gun which flows about half the volume of a normal gun. It seems the trick is to initially lay it down in a thin coat, with just one pass of the gun. Wait at least 30 min for the 1-part to air-dry. I did two coats this way. I waited 45 min before the 3rd coat, which I laid slightly thicker (one full pass horizontal, then quick vertical pass - don't forget to rotate the fan spray). The existing paint then seems to "suck up" the solvent before it runs. That was my prior experience with rattle-cans on oil pans and valve covers, and the instructions on those cans. If a part is off-car, like a fender, you can sometimes re-orient it while wet to make a run horizontal, then blow it flatter w/ air and even spray a little more paint to level it. Has also worked for me with rattle-can lacquer paint that flows out well, indeed so well that it loves to run if you get too thick. My painted cars aren't perfect, but not $20K either, and I see much worse in parking lots of 10 year old cars with failed clearcoat (strong sun here), especially dark colors.

Last edited:
I am restoring my '68 FS FB 340 and trying to do it right. Not a concours restoration, but upgrading what is important to make the car solid and safe. I had AMD replace the rear quarters and valance to repair damage to the car from before I purchased it in '69. Also fixed the rust in the quarter panels, but that was all the rust on the car. Had USCT stiffening kit level 2 installed to improve rigidity. This cost almost $15K. Using 11.75" '73+ front and Liberty rear disk brakes.
Cars Remember When in Littleton, CO is doing the paint, trim and assembly. The paint and all the other work will be in the range of $40K. Nothing is cheap if you want it done right and don't have the time/skills to do it yourself. I know my limitations on paint and body work. But after 54 years of ownership, I want the car near perfect for driving and still be a show stunning car.

20230406_124729[2].jpg

20230322_152458[1].jpg

20230419_131446[1].jpg

20230406_124625[1].jpg

All depends on what in a restored car and how much you want to invest. There are two types of show cars, one is how it came from the factory and the other is like yours, awesome and over restored. I see people spend big bucks to have their cars restored with all number matching, original parts and then paint their cars with a base and clear coat. I just don't get it. A build as you like car, YES. Nice 68!!!!!

All depends on what in a restored car and how much you want to invest. There are two types of show cars, one is how it came from the factory and the other is like yours, awesome and over restored. I see people spend big bucks to have their cars restored with all number matching, original parts and then paint their cars with a base and clear coat. I just don't get it. A build as you like car, YES. Nice 68!!!!!
"how it came from the factory" with early Fords was a lacquer applied by brush. It was some sort of nitro chemical, perhaps a bit like nitrocellulose (gunpowder). Paint chemistry and application has changed a lot. New cars mostly have bodies dipped in primer and sprayed with $100K rotary sprayers using electrostatic charge to move the fine mist to the car body and reproducible robot-arm controls. It comes out so smooth they don't even buff, other than in small spots, which a computer imaging system flags for the workers.

If and when a dude points out my runs in jams and firewall I just say "I did it just like the factory!" IF I ever took to a car show which I never will.

:poke:

Every time I see a modern car with the clear peeling, I tell myself how glad I am that all I shoot is single stage acrylic urethane. 20 year or so later, I could sand and buff that and it would be darn shiney!

Man I love all these stories I was rejected by all of the local shops to do my duster and it was not in that bad of shape needed a fender and rockers the hood was in rough shape from previous sandblasting with black beauty fortunatly I met my neighbor down the street and he is a professional body man and took on the project in his own garage. I had frame work done by a shop called auto rust technicians not too far away (they can fix anything) added torque boxes full rear frame rails full trunk floor and front sub frame rails with sub frame connectors. the project took well over a year just for the body work as he was doing it when he had time but I told him to do it as if it was his car. He did everything Harrisonm mentioned and more many coats of primer sanded then cleaned then base coat his boss let us use the shop to paint it so each coat was dried at 160 degrees for 20 minutes at least three coats of mango tango copper #3 at $750 per gallon then three more clear coats then wet sanded three times starting with 800 grit then 1200 and finishing with 5000 it is mirror like I need to get some better pictures but as others have mentioned I'm horrified some chump is going to hit me going through town and I don't get far away from it that I can't shoot someone. This was my first car and I have had it since 1983 was a slant six but now a 360, lifetime project and is exactly what I wanted. I was extremely lucky to meet this guy and the body work was around 10 grand I stopped counting.

Wife asked WHY did I not make that fender perfect???? I said, simple.... because I will drive it and this way I wan't worry about it getting a door ding!!!!!

-
Back