Cost to rebuild Front end & brakes

-

oneway71

Reaction score
Hello
I have been so busy that I havent had time to do my front suspension and brakes on the Valiant. So I got an estimate today. $1500 for labor to due whole front with alignment and all 4 brakes & m/c & new lines. Mount new tires.

I have all the parts this quote is just for labor. I am considering it because the motor and trans in the car are new and I miss driving it. I wont be able to repair it myself until maybe next spring.

Any thoughts? Is this too high? Would you pay to have it done or wait until you have time?

Seems pretty fair to me , I just got done doing the suspension and brakes on my 63 Valiant and it was probably 20 hours of work .....

Wow 20 hours I definetly dont have that much time available; and both my bays are full with other people's projects. So I guess I will just have it done; It just feels funny paying someone else to do it....lol

You could always get a couple other estimates for the work. Price seems high but I'm currently doing my own and it is a lot of work. If I was doing it for a living I would be looking to get 50 to 100 dollars an hour depending on my overhead.

$1500 just for labor? Sounds absolutely outrageous to me, but even the Rabbi says I'm cheap.

$1500 was the worst case scenerio; he said should be much lower when it is completed. Some of the labor flagged may actually include parts that were going to be removed already; therefore he may be able to lower it because of that. Actual rate is $60hr; which is close to what I charge for body and paint.

Another point is that I am without a car or truck right now. All I have running is a bike. And I have been trying to get this car into the shop for at least a year now. Only downside I see is that nothing will be painted when it is apart.

I say if ya can, do it yourself. I wouldn't pay anyone that kind of money for a front end rebuild. It aint hard, you can do it. :) Should only take a couple weekends...

Seems a bit high depending on where you're at. Although, I spent about $700 for labor only, to rebuild the front end on my Dart. (no brakes) It took 2 of us about 10 hours but after the alignment was done it drives down the road with one finger and I have the confidence that the front end is good for another 40 years or so. I used a PST rubber kit. After rebuilding my engine/clutch/trans.
I have new respect for resto shops and the money they charge. Mike

071309_1736[01].jpg

071309_1737[00].jpg

-
Back