Couple 440 Motorhome and 318 questions

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
I recently have had the opportunity to purchase one of my dream cars a Dodge Coronet 440. It currently has a 318 in it. Quite some time ago I purchased a 440 out of a motorhome to go into a 64 valiant. My question is really 2 fold.

First on the 440 is a "brake" on the tailshaft of the 904 transmission. What I would like to know is how do I deal with it? Does it need to be replaced? What needs to happen for it to be replaced?

Second I am now rethinking where the 440 will go so I am wanting to drop the 440 into the Coronet. Will the 440 bolt to the 318's transmission or should I just completely transplant the 318 and trans into the valiant and deal with the 440 trans? Any other gotchas with the 440 I should know about? I am hoping to hop the 440 up as money becomes available.

I'm not sure but I believe you could remove all the brake drum stuff and have a drive shaft made with slip yoke as some of the early Dart guys have done on flange drive shafts.

You could also look around and find a core with the standard long shaft, and it might be that if the 318 trans is a 727, you could use that shaft and tail housing

The bell housings are different between SB and BB so no, the 318 trans will not fit.

You'll need pass car engine brackets / mounts for your body, IE BB in that body, and a car pan and pickup. You may need different exhaust manifods

motor home trans is 727 not a 904 if it helps

motor home trans is 727 not a 904 if it helps

LOL. There is no 904 which fits B/ RB engines. The 318 the OP has could be either. Not that it came that way, someone could have put a 727 in the car

I'm not sure but I believe you could remove all the brake drum stuff and have a drive shaft made with slip yoke as some of the early Dart guys have done on flange drive shafts.

You could also look around and find a core with the standard long shaft, and it might be that if the 318 trans is a 727, you could use that shaft and tail housing

The bell housings are different between SB and BB so no, the 318 trans will not fit.

You'll need pass car engine brackets / mounts for your body, IE BB in that body, and a car pan and pickup. You may need different exhaust manifods

Well crap, I didnt think the 440 would bolt to the 318 trans just being hopeful. I will investigate taking apart the brake drum but as I recall I don't remember seeing anyway to do that. I also seem to think I remember reading that it was actually attached to the transmission rotating assembly (Not sure of the right term).

Good news there are not any engine mounts so I needed them anyway. The manifolds are broken so I am going to go with a set of headers. I do have a good pan but I completely forgot about the pickup.

Thank you for the info. Hopefully someone can comment on the brake drum. Also good to see you are still around.

-
Back