Couple 904 questions

-

GammaRay

Reaction score
Hi all, the car is a 64 Valiant, 225 with 904 transmission. Due to a massive tranny fluid leak, I have removed the transmission from the car. While it is out I am replacing the front seal. I guess my first question is, is there anything else that I should inspect or have checked while the transmission is out? It was rebuilt in 2002 and all other seals do not leak. (thats kinda why I couldn't believe the front seal is already) My second question is, the previous owner ran type F fluid in it. I have always used Dextron in my other 904's and have never had a problem. Would I have to have the tranny and lines flushed if I switched over? Would it be worth it or should I just stick to typeF? Thoughts and suggestions please.

Thanks in advance.

Have the torque converter pressure checked. The snout can crack and make it appear to be the front seal leaking. Nothing worse than thinking it's a bad front seal and pulling the trans. to replace it then get it back together and it still leaks. I learned that the hard way. Another thing to check is down inside the bellhousing pass side there is a pipe plug. Make sure the leak isn't coming from it. Also check the pump bolts to make sure that's not what's leaking.

You don't have to flush it to switch to Dexron. Supposedly type F makes the trans. shift a little firmer. I have tried it and see very little diff. between them so I always run Dexron. Just my preference.

Thanks for the response fishy68, so can any transmission shop perform the pressure check on the torque converter?

again, thanks

If your'e converter or tranny is toast I have one that I will let you have cheap. It came out of my 70 Dart which had the original tranny which should have the same number of splines as yours.I believe that yours should be a 26 spline. The converter is remanfactured and the tranny was rebuilt. He only put 20k on it before I bought the car.

-
Back