Couple of 360/5.9l questions?

-

Reaction score
I figured the direction I want to go over the next 5+ years with my car 68 Valiant stock body & interior, I'm keeping it small block want to eventually go high to mid 11's want no roll bar or cage. Want decent streetability be able to go anywhere at anytime.

Looking to make peak power around 6500 rpm, right now it's got a 380hp crate engine 2800 stall and 2.94 gears. But 1st I want go backwards and start with stock cam, china air gap and headers then gear for maximum 1/4 mile and go from there, mod to mod until mid 11s.

Even though I got low mileage engine I want to build a zero deck LA roller block with forged 3.31/3.58/3.79 crank haven't decided yet to swap in at some point.

Questions

1 Can a magnum 5.9l be drilled for LA rocker oiling ?

2 Are crank spacers safe on a 450-500 hp to 7000 ish rpms?

3 How much hp needed to do mid 11s in a 3500 lbs car on drag radials? but with no /6 bars or drag racing leafs. Do have fully adjustable shocks.

Early Magnums (have heard up to '95, but can't confirm that) are already drilled for rocker oiling (even though they weren't utilized with the Magnum heads). Hunt for an early Magnum block, the passages are there.

Early Magnums (have heard up to '95, but can't confirm that) are already drilled for rocker oiling (even though they weren't utilized with the Magnum heads). Hunt for an early Magnum block, the passages are there.
Around here a roller 360 would hard enough to find.

The pre magnum LA 360 like 89-93 with the 308 heads were roller cam blocks also.

The pre magnum LA 360 like 89-93 with the 308 heads were roller cam blocks also.
Yes but if I can't one, want to know if I can get a regular magnum drilled and for a reasonable price ?

The 92 and 94 blocks I have are drilled

Yes but if I can't one, want to know if I can get a regular magnum drilled and for a reasonable price ?
You said you had a 5-year plan. Surely you can find one in five years. If I'm still alive at that time you give me a call I'll ship you one.

You said you had a 5-year plan. Surely you can find one in five years. If I'm still alive at that time you give me a call I'll ship you one.
True just want to know while looking if non drill magnum might work. Yes no hurry my short block fine for now.

How about the spacers durability?

and power needs for mid 11s with a 3500 lbs ish car?

There are other reliable ways to provide rocker shaft oiling on a undrilled magnum block besides drilling to factory style passages.
You want the spacers to run a 340 journal crank? Properly executed spacers shouldn’t be an issue for your hp level but I think all but the 3.31 crank are available with 360 journal size. I’d put the money you’d spend on custom spacers into a custom forged crank that fits.

There are other reliable ways to provide rocker shaft oiling on a undrilled magnum block besides drilling to factory style passages.
You want the spacers to run a 340 journal crank? Properly executed spacers shouldn’t be an issue for your hp level but I think all but the 3.31 crank are available with 360 journal size. I’d put the money you’d spend on custom spacers into a custom forged crank that fits.
I'd rather the smaller bearings plus you should be able to align hone without moving the cam and crank closer, and if I choose later I have more option with what engines the crank will fit.

I want to be able to run any head or cam I plan on playing around with a few.

Last edited:
The calculator say 500 hp for Mid 11s with a 3500 lbs-ft car, sound right? to me those calculators seem optimistic. Not gonna have suspension dialed in 100% only for straight line.

1 Can a magnum 5.9l be drilled for LA rocker oiling ?
Yes but find an earlier block. There not that expensive and you can always re sell your current set up and roll the money over into the project to reduce cost.

Think smart.
2 Are crank spacers safe on a 450-500 hp to 7000 ish rpms?
Yes Contact Ram racing engines. Replicarracer43 has my 360 block, ram racing spacers and a MP 3.45 stroke crank & pistons coupled with new con rods. He’s doing the short block for me.
More on this later, I’ll start a thread on it when the time comes.

Anyway, Mr. Richard’s has used these spacers for years. He developed them.
3 How much hp needed to do mid 11s in a 3500 lbs car on drag radials? but with no /6 bars or drag racing leafs. Do have fully adjustable shocks.
Find a way to reduce weight and make use of it without stressing the engine more via more power.

If you insist on a heavy car or not, I’d move to the 3.79 crank for more torque through out the range. I’d look for a mechanical FT cam of a min of 250@050 with as much lift as your head can flow, 10-1 min. Compression, 4.30 gears and a 28 inch tire. (Slick) 1-3/4 inch headers. I’d also run a ported single plane, maybe a ported RPM-AG - maybe and throw the chink intake into the recycling bin. Make use of carb spacers if you can.

Get the car on a diet. Loose 300lbs.

Yes but find an earlier block. There not that expensive and you can always re sell your current set up and roll the money over into the project to reduce cost.

Think smart.

Yes Contact Ram racing engines. Replicarracer43 has my 360 block, ram racing spacers and a MP 3.45 stroke crank & pistons coupled with new con rods. He’s doing the short block for me.
More on this later, I’ll start a thread on it when the time comes.

Anyway, Mr. Richard’s has used these spacers for years. He developed them.

Find a way to reduce weight and make use of it without stressing the engine more via more power.

If you insist on a heavy car or not, I’d move to the 3.79 crank for more torque through out the range. I’d look for a mechanical FT cam of a min of 250@050 with as much lift as your head can flow, 10-1 min. Compression, 4.30 gears and a 28 inch tire. (Slick) 1-3/4 inch headers. I’d also run a ported single plane, maybe a ported RPM-AG - maybe and throw the chink intake into the recycling bin. Make use of carb spacers if you can.
I don't plan staying with the china air gap, know it kind of weird but want to start off with that and stock cam and work my way up from there. No hurry figure it will take me a few years mod to mod to get there.
Get the car on a diet. Loose 300lbs.
I am on a diet don't quite have 300 to lose lol

I don't plan staying with the china air gap, know it kind of weird but want to start off with that and stock cam and work my way up from there. No hurry figure it will take me a few years mod to mod to get there.
Not weird at all. Walk your way into it. Sounds like fun.
I am on a diet don't quite have 300 to lose lol
You’re on a diet? Well, LMAO! I did t mean you but the car. You yourself on a diet? Best of luck. Weight loss isn’t easy and the older you get the harder it becomes. I’m Pl take time but just stick to the program. Eat well, exercise regularly and don’t push yourself too heavy on the weights. Just focus on the calorie burn and you’ll be good to go.

-
Back