Covering tags in pics....

-
Come get it.

My tag should help you find it.

In all honesty if my car does ever get taken I'm sure it will be on a flat bed and not a joy ride.

Actually, I never thought much on this topic but I read a thread somewhere where a man had a 66 dart wagon with a 3.9L v6 and it got stolen and wrecked by the joy riders.

I don't think I would ever get over that

Not to derail this but I'm gonna.

And remember you started this.

I tried hundreds of pistols before I bought my sig. I was the RSO at our local range when I was 18.

1911 just dont fit my hand good no matter how much folks tell me the are great, for me it's just not.

I dont have tiny hands but I dont have gorilla mits.

When I pick up the sig I just new. It was like the first time I held my lady, I just knew. That's the one for me.

In my opinion, Glock feels like a cheep toy and I cant wait to get them out of my hand.

I took my girls niece (14 years old) out to the range with her granddad and his glock. First round hit, the case hit her in the forehead. Seco d round went down her shirt and that was it. She never wants to shoot again. Then I played with the glock and the ejection was all over the place. Dam thing threw brass in my face as well.

Her sister started with my Sig and loves shooting to this day.

If it works for you I'm happy. We encourage women to come out to the range. I just dont see one in my gun safe ever.

Nothing wrong with derails, depending on the subject matter.

I felt the same way the 1st time I held my Ruger P85. It just fits and functions like a dream since day 1 back in 1992. Dead accurate right out of the box, too.

Here's the main reason I dont foresee anyone joy riding my car.

20190402_204554_zpsmfjpip0e.jpg

I hope you brought your vicegrips!

:lol:

There’s a big difference between driving your car around town and posting a picture of your plates or VIN on the internet. If your don’t understand that, you don’t understand the internet very well.

Sure, anyone can see your plates driving around. And anyone could see your VIN when you’re parked at the grocery store. Or take pictures of either, or follow you home. But they have to see the car. You have to physically be in the same place. Even if you drive your car a lot, how many people see it long enough to record your plates or VIN? Hundreds? Thousands? How many of them are even paying attention? How many of them even know what they’re looking at? And the real question, how many of them are criminals in the auto theft/fraud world?

When you post a picture of your car and plate or VIN on the internet, it’s there for MILLIONS of people to see. And worse, it’s searchable. So, if some dirtbag is looking for a specific car, they just google what they want. And there your car is with a plate and VIN in a picture in front of your house. If you google ‘71 Dart GT pictures of my cars come up on the first page.

And having your car stolen isn’t the only problem. People can use that VIN to forge a title. Or fake a VIN plate or fender tag or stamping and get a real title. Rare sure but it does happen. And if that car gets exposed as a re body, stolen, whatever, guess who’s VIN is tagged? Yeah, yours.

It take me 10 seconds to edit my plates and VINs out of the pictures I post. It’s just good practice. Like not putting your social security card in your wallet. Yeah, maybe nothing comes of it. But if something does happen, you’d better believe it’s gonna be a pain in the ***. So why put out more information than you have to? I mean, you can’t stop it. Your information is out there, no matter how careful you are. But the more you put out there, the easier it is for something bad to happen.

Come get it.

My tag should help you find it.

In all honesty if my car does ever get taken I'm sure it will be on a flat bed and not a joy ride.

Ain't that the truth. The flat bed part, that is.

The professionals are the ones you need to worry about, and yeah, they’re not gonna fire it off and drive it away. They’re gonna wheel dolly it over to a flat bed and you’re not gonna hear them go. Not saying joy riders don’t happen, but that’s a heck of a lot easier to stop.

Last edited:
You are correct but honestly, I worry about stuff enough.

If my car does get taken, do we know that it was from a picture on the net?

Or was it that I live in a crap neighborhood?

I can only handle so much stress and a professional car thief is gonna take what they want no matter what.

So I chose to not worry about that.

Like my mom always said, " worry is the price you pay in advance for 99 percent of things that never happen."

Not to derail this but I'm gonna.

And remember you started this.

I tried hundreds of pistols before I bought my sig. I was the RSO at our local range when I was 18.

1911 just dont fit my hand good no matter how much folks tell me the are great, for me it's just not.

I dont have tiny hands but I dont have gorilla mits.

When I pick up the sig I just new. It was like the first time I held my lady, I just knew. That's the one for me.

In my opinion, Glock feels like a cheep toy and I cant wait to get them out of my hand.

I took my girls niece (14 years old) out to the range with her granddad and his glock. First round hit, the case hit her in the forehead. Seco d round went down her shirt and that was it. She never wants to shoot again. Then I played with the glock and the ejection was all over the place. Dam thing threw brass in my face as well.

Her sister started with my Sig and loves shooting to this day.

If it works for you I'm happy. We encourage women to come out to the range. I just dont see one in my gun safe ever.

I am not a huge gun person, I never even wanted to have one but one morning I went to work early before sunrise and I got out of my car and got bombarded by a crack head who came through an alley. Well, I am a female who stands a whopping 4'8", (with shoes) so i am a sitting duck even against some middle schoolers.

So I have a glock 23 (I think) it is very good in small hands. It seems to agree with me when I am at the range. I really hope I never have to use it, but i am going to rely on it if the need ever comes.

I can only handle so much stress and a professional car thief is gonna take what they want no matter what.

Like my mom always said, " worry is the price you pay in advance for 99 percent of things that never happen."
There is a huge difference between worry and good judgement.
Typically worry is the price you pay for poor judgement.
With good decision making there is no worry.
Posting your plates in a car photo on the Internet is poor judgement.

Oh I get it. I still use my cars as my daily drivers so they’re out in the world and having them stolen is still a smaller concern for me than being in an accident, that’s a hell of a lot more likely.

I honestly don’t worry about it too much. I’m not going to stop driving my cars. I’m not going to stop daily driving them, I love it.

But I still make them as safe as I can. I make them handle, I upgrade all the braking, I do what I can to give myself the best shot possible. I don’t really worry about it, but I also don’t run around on bias plies and drum brakes and hope for the best.

There is a huge difference between worry and good judgement.
Typically worry is the price you pay for poor judgement.
With good decision making there is no worry.
Posting your plates in a car photo on the Internet is poor judgement.

EXACTLY.

It takes me 10 seconds to edit my plates so why not?

I try not to lose sleep over the crap I can’t control. But that doesn’t mean I don’t take care of the things I can control. An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

And as someone who has had a truck stolen from inside a locked and gated parking lot.

I'll tell you how it went down.

A stolen car pulled up to the gate. A cordless angle grinder was used to cut the lock. The person drove in, parked, removed a battery out of the car, put it in the truck, broke the drivers side window and jumped the starter with a screwdriver.
They left the stolen car in our lot.

Good thing we left all the lug nuts loose cuz the truck made it about 5 blocks before the wheels were hitting the fenders and they left it on the side of the road.

The only person who knew there was no battery in the truck was the owner.

Guess what?

I called him the next day and said, your truck was stolen but I found it. Come get it,

And as someone who has had a truck stolen from inside a locked and gated parking lot.

I'll tell you how it went down.

A stolen car pulled up to the gate. A cordless angle grinder was used to cut the lock. The person drove in, parked, removed a battery out of the car, put it in the truck, broke the drivers side window and jumped the starter with a screwdriver.
They left the stolen car in our lot.

Good thing we left all the lug nuts loose cuz the truck made it about 5 blocks before the wheels were hitting the fenders and they left it on the side of the road.

The only person who knew there was no battery in the truck was the owner.

Guess what?

I called him the next day and said, your truck was stolen but I found it. Come get it,

Yeah crap happens, there’s nothing you can do about that and there’s no point worrying about the stuff you can’t control. If my car gets stolen I’ll probably never know if it was because they found it through the ‘net or just got lucky.

But that doesn’t mean you need to invite crap over for a beer. The more crap you put out there the more likely it is to come back. Control the stuff you can control and deal with the rest as it comes.

And if the thieves knew about the battery, they’d have brought an extra. Think about it.

I'm 99.9 percent it was the owner of the truck who stole it.

They brought a battery.

He was not surprised and there was no "what? My truck got stolen?"

Just "Dam that sucks, how bad is the damage?"

Last edited:
Some *** hat is gonna hit your hauler on the way to the track.

Or some *** hat is gonna T bone your beautiful Firechicken with no insurance (happened to me)

Or a pro is gonna flat bed your pride and joy.

I get it, it can open you up to an issue but so can everything else.

Just pulling out of the drive way can be the end.

Hell in the future I'm gonna ask my Ex to stand in front of my plate and maybe someone will steal her?

The last car stole, I didn't start it up until a couple years later. The previous owner never heard a sound.......

:steering:

Bill Jenkins didn`t either when his entire rig was stolen in Mo. one time , he never got any of it back !!

I threw my tag in with the bunch, come and find me......

mopar vin number tags at DuckDuckGo

There have been plenty of posts/threads here, showing our car plates I myself included. As Alfred E. Newman would say, "What me worry"...

We cannot control the unpredictiveness of others, much like a coin toss...heads I win, tails you loose. lol.

B363DDB7-557A-47E9-B9F8-B67D7CB0A907.png
Speaking of derail, this reminds me of coworkers I’ve had in the past who fear a customer will know their name. WTH are you hiding from?

Also, wheel guns are real guns. When going to the range with my friend, he brings his
jam- omatics and spends half his time fixing them. This one goes off when the trigger is pulled. Everytime.

reminds me

put the gun away, those white background gauges are so,,, what 20 years ago cool,,
any thief that got behind the wheel will say,, opps, why bother,, although the era matching clear tail light lenses
would tip the thief off,,,the market for PT Cruser parts is probably already gone, so you should be OK.

Last edited:
Then you have guys like this.
Go ahead and look at the rear bumper pics.
BTW, those yellow plates w/red lettering, in Ohio they're what we call "party plates". Judges issue those when you get a DUI.
From what the guy is asking for his Dakota, I'd say he was drunk when he posted.

05 Dodge Dakota SLT - $65000 (Hamilton Ohio)

image 11 of 22
00z0z_1DvXRKIS5Bs_600x450.jpg

00Z0Z_5cFuyrPBcPD_600x450.jpg

00e0e_9iWnMBRMNLg_600x450.jpg

00k0k_2FaQs3H4RKA_600x450.jpg

2005 05 Dodge Dakota

condition: good
cylinders: 8 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 109843
paint color: grey
size: full-size
title status: clean
transmission: automatic
type: truck

2005 Dodge DakotaQuad Cab SLT Specs
Engine"MAGNUM" 4.7L V8
Horsepower. 210 @ 5200 RPM. 230 @ 4600 RPM.
Torque. 235 @ 3600 RPM. 290 @ 3600 RPM.
Max Towing Capacity. 3,150 lbs.
Drivetrain. Rear Wheel Drive.
Fuel Tank Capacity, Approx. 22.0 gal.
EPA Fuel Economy Est (MPG) MPG City: 16 / MPG Hwy: 22.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/fb/cin/cto/6856707009

What do you guys who are afraid to post their plates do at car shows. I'm going to a BIG show on Saturday with lots of high dollar cars. EVERYONE there will have their cell phones out taking pictures. What do you do? Pull your plates and cover your VIN? Seems like this would be prime hunting ground for thieves.

What do you guys who are afraid to post their plates do at car shows. I'm going to a BIG show on Saturday with lots of high dollar cars. EVERYONE there will have their cell phones out taking pictures. What do you do? Pull your plates and cover your VIN? Seems like this would be prime hunting ground for thieves.

It may depend upon what state your car is registered in.
The 'need to know' owner information requirement seems to vary widely among the states.

Free License Plate Number Lookup - Quickly Find Owner Information |

-
Back