Coverting from a slant 6 to a 360.

-

jonnie Gofaster

Reaction score
I recently acquired a 74 Plymouth Valiant with a slant 6, 3 speed on the floor and would like to upgrade to a 360. I have no clue as to what is required to swap these 2. Bell housings, clutches engine mounts and K-members, etc.

Welcome to the site!
To put the the V8 in there, you'll need adapting motor mounts/or a V8 K-frame. You'll need a form of V8 exhaust (be it manifolds or headers). The slant six electrical wiring will work (distributor, oil pressure gage, alt wires, etc) but the lengths may not be exact. The /6 throttle cable will also work, but you'll deal with the length (not a big deal). IF power steering, you'll need PS brackets for the V8 (your engine may come with them). Obviously, a V8 distributor (the engine may come with one). Pretty easy swap to be honest.

I've not done the manual transmission swap from /6 to V8, so others can help you there.

Run thru the search feature. There are plenty of threads describing aspects of the swap you need to focus on.
Good luck and welcome aboard.

Welcome to the site!
To put the the V8 in there, you'll need adapting motor mounts/or a V8 K-frame. You'll need a form of V8 exhaust (be it manifolds or headers). The slant six electrical wiring will work (distributor, oil pressure gage, alt wires, etc) but the lengths may not be exact. The /6 throttle cable will also work, but you'll deal with the length (not a big deal). IF power steering, you'll need PS brackets for the V8 (your engine may come with them). Obviously, a V8 distributor (the engine may come with one). Pretty easy swap to be honest.

I've not done the manual transmission swap from /6 to V8, so others can help you there.
I appreciate any info. I have access to a 360 truck engine with an automatic crank, so I know i'll need a bushing for the trans output shaft and probably a bell housing for a manual shifter. I'm pretty green when it comes to this.

I appreciate any info. I have access to a 360 truck engine with an automatic crank, so I know i'll need a bushing for the trans output shaft and probably a bell housing for a manual shifter. I'm pretty green when it comes to this.
you will also need a car oil pan and pickup tube

I recently acquired a 74 Plymouth Valiant with a slant 6, 3 speed on the floor and would like to upgrade to a 360. I have no clue as to what is required to swap these 2. Bell housings, clutches engine mounts and K-members, etc.
You either need a V8 K or what are called "swap" engine mounts. There are a acouple of manufacturers, I've forgotten where they ended up, as one outfit sold

You will need a bell FOR AN A body. Pickup/ van bells won't work.. Wander over to an outfit called Brewer's Performance.

The pan only fits 360, not 340 or smaller, and as mentioned you will need "car" (front sump) pan and pickup.

What are you intending to use for a transmission, AKA is the slant a stick, and are you thinking of that? Four speeds, EG, are A body specific, AKA short tail shaft.

The /6 clutch Z bar is about 1 inch longer on the bell housing side. This can be cut down to fit the V8. The mounts and push rod to the clutch should be the same.

-
Back