Cowl Debris/Air Boxes leak

-

Noah*

Reaction score
I have water coming out of my air boxes. I took a hose and ran water through the cowl while running a piece of wire in the drains. I have good drainage out of the holes on the sides, but water is still coming out of my air boxes. I have heard that there is another area that can get clogged, how do you access it and how do you clean it out?

I think you have a rusted out area inside the cowel. If you can put your are up the air box and feel for rusted out area, take a light and look under the dash and you might see the hole, or take the air box off and then you can check the cowel better. What car do you have??

Dunno if this will help; My 70 Duster, cleaned the drains in the inner fenderwells. A 60 charger that we are working on-fenderwells, and pulled the air box out of the passenger side,so far. It has a 1/2" lip in the cowl, that holds trash.

I cleaned the drains by the hood hinges, but when I was flushing it water pours out of the air boxes. Guess i gonna have to pull the air boxes then.

When I got my Barracuda it was parked under an oak tree... the cowl filled up with leaves (as well as the doors). Luckily, I was able to reach up through the vents and pull out handfulls of the leaves. There were ALOT in there. After all that, I used a small wire with a small loop on it to clear the drains. It took a while.
blocks1.JPG

You should still reach up in there and feel the lip to see if there are any small rust holes. Even if the rest of the car is rust free, this area received little to no paint, so somthing sitting in the cowl for years (and most likely wet) could still speed up the rust. If you do find some small pinholes, I'm sure you could most likely patch it from underneath with fiberglass or such. But unless you will be removing it from daily weather, it will be temporary.
IMG_4854.jpg

There are people on this list that has done the cowl removal job to get to these vent the right way. If you have to go into this much surgery, I'm sure there are people that can help direct you to the right method of removal.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?t=9928

I have 65 Valiant and had problems with it leaking on the driver side. I took the vent down and discovered the rubber/gasket was brittle and dry rotted. I used a windshield ribbon (comes in a roll and you should be able to buy it from NAPA ) to replace the gasket. It also had debris from earlier years so I cleaned it out, and wraped the rubber ribbon around the box and reinstalled it. No leakes so I did the passenger side as well. That should work if there is no rust holes around the vent lip. This problem is one of the reasons the front floor plans rust out. This stuff is used to seal windsheild so it will work. Good luck. Jerry

Yeah, I got that picture from the link at the bottom of my post on the Bbody site. That is a charger, and if you look, you will see that those flanges do have pinholes, but the debris is built up enough to cause water to flow over also. I tell you, I give that person credit for taking on such a challenge!!!
IMG_4856.jpg

Right and left vent boxes use 2 different type seals Jim at Detroit Muscle technologies has both available.

-
Back