Cowl drain

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
Can somebody tell me where the cowl(71 Demon), drains. Got stuck in a down pour at a car show Friday and yesterday I noticed drivers side and pass side carpet a wee bit wet.

The car never moved until the sun was shining again on dry roads. It has to be the cowl. Problem is, I can't find any drains.

At the ends, run down into inner fender.

Yes. What happens is leaves and pine needles get in there and clog it. Some times you have to pull the fender if its clogged to much.

How are your wiper pivots/seals? Could be time for a rebuild there. I added grease fittings and packed them good.

Gonna have to check the wiper pivot seals. Windshield gasket is new. Don't think it could be a firewall gasket as the car wasn't driven in the rain.

I don't plan to drive in the rain. Can't imagine getting the underneath all slopped up.
'Ya never know though, could get stuck in it someday...
Gonna have to get it fixed eventually.

Right here.

cowl.JPG

I can't take a pic to save my ***; $500 , looks get on screen, think I'm good to go. Then this crap pic. Where is my old Kodak?

Make sure it is clear of dead mice.

DSC05633.jpg

Lol, I bought my 70 new, daily driver until 80. Then built a shop in 87, put it on stands, and started working on it. Banging, etc; all this dirt started falling on me.
So then I found all the hidden cavities that A bodies have: Cowl, with the leaves(compressor and a bent piece of wire); rockers(air, wire); door bottoms, same; trunk extensions, same.
They need cleaning every now and then. I bet I got 2 5 gallon buckets of crap out of the car. Lighter, now, lol.

You may be able to get at the drain if you remove the driver side air box and use a wire or something else to poke at the drain to the left. Maybe use a shop vac with home made extension. The passenger side air box is part of the heater which means dropping the heater to get at the opening in the plenum. Please let us know how you make out. Mike

If your lucky it's the drain, if not its a hole in the corner of the windshied lip. I just found that on my 70 Duster.

Air, and poking with a bent welding rod or coathanger, Then small water, keep poking from underneath. Just keep doing it, and Voila- clean.

Thanks for all the help, guys! Gonna dig into it this weekend and see what I find. Might just pull back the carpet and have wifey run a hose while I'm under the dash....

I don't think I'm gonna like changing wiper pivot seals. No idea how to do it, and that's always a baaaaad sign.

Thanks for all the help, guys! Gonna dig into it this weekend and see what I find. Might just pull back the carpet and have wifey run a hose while I'm under the dash....

I don't think I'm gonna like changing wiper pivot seals. No idea how to do it, and that's always a baaaaad sign.

There not hard to take off (just two bolts and it is out) The hard part is getting to them under the dash.

Just 2 bolts under the dash? Do the seals go on the wiper pivot itself or are they fit into the cowl panel?

....i know. Questions, questions, questions:)

-
Back