Cowl Hood on a 1971 Swinger

-
you all know this "debate" will never die - "purists" will always poopoo on other non-original type hoods and "customizers" (for lack of a better term) will always say it's all good.. vive la difference

70 roadrunner air grabber hood is not technically cowl induction, right. yes the hood is raised somewhat similar. I believe if we look back to NASCAR in the sixties, maybe early seventies, the old one were set up with homemade cowl induction even though the hood was not raised??
the guy asked for some pics and we always have to throw out our opinions, comments, this is a discussion group! ha....... I look at it like this. if the car is sold and the next guy hates that cowl hood, he will simply change it out. when people customize cars and then it is up for sale, people just need to remember that not every potential buyer will like what that guy did in his zest to customize!!!
me I am old school, carb hits original hood, cut a hole in it and let it stick out!!!! or run without the hood? if that is illegal in your state, Ya need to move to better state!!??? ha
ps I would be caught dead with that high in the air cowl hood! even if I owned a chevy!!

70 roadrunner air grabber hood is not technically cowl induction, right. yes the hood is raised somewhat similar. I believe if we look back to NASCAR in the sixties, maybe early seventies, the old one were set up with homemade cowl induction even though the hood was not raised??
the guy asked for some pics and we always have to throw out our opinions, comments, this is a discussion group! ha....... I look at it like this. if the car is sold and the next guy hates that cowl hood, he will simply change it out. when people customize cars and then it is up for sale, people just need to remember that not every potential buyer will like what that guy did in his zest to customize!!!
me I am old school, carb hits original hood, cut a hole in it and let it stick out!!!! or run without the hood? if that is illegal in your state, Ya need to move to better state!!??? ha
ps I would be caught dead with that high in the air cowl hood! even if I owned a chevy!!

Except the fact that technically speaking the air on the cars like Tony's or Mike's doesn't enter the carb through the cowl. :lol:

I remember a guy years back who came in and "purists" drove him off relatively shortly after they roasted him for asking for pics just like the OP has.

I don't really wish the same to happen.

By actually educating on the difference between a true cowl induction hood and the aftermarket ones, perhaps the "purists" will get the f*** over themselves.

Anyone familiar with my postings know that I'm all for building a car your way, because you're the only one you have to satisfy.

Hell, until I gave my Diplomat away, I was building a rearward facing scoop (erroneously called a cowl induction scoop) that was sealed to the carb, with the scoop flowing off the center raised area of the header panel and hood. My nephew, the car's current owner, has decided to go back to a stock hood.

On the square body cars like Tony's and Mike's or even my old Diplomat, these hoods flow, in my opinion.

ha

I did fail to say as usual, let the cars owner do what he likes with it! it is his car!

I know, give me a few more years and I might try out the GM HEI system!!!!! ha

Here is a pic of the 67-68 Camaro cowl induction setup.

IMG_0869.JPG

IMO, one of the most defining modifications on chevys, is a hole cut in the hood, with some boogered up intake setup to make it necessary to cut that hole. It shows no planning, or forethought. Also looks like crap. I personally think it's a crime to cut a hole in a perfectly good hood, that is hard to replace. I would buy a fiberglass hood to cut up. Besides, due to the different expansion rates of sheet metal, and fiberglass, they will crack. Also,the sheet metal with just a hole cut in it loses some of it's strength. I don't have a problem with cowl hoods. They were on chevys, Fords (aftermarket), and Mopars (1970 GTX/Road Runner). I just don't like the ones with the ridge up the middle. It just screams chevy.JMO.

Speaking of novas my first car at 15 was a 63 chevyII my best friend got a 340 Dart I was pissed cause it was the coolest car I ever saw. He blew the doors off my little 327.

Purist's will never agree. But I always aligned with hot rodders.... customize, be different, faster, use what you can get your hands on.....It's yours do what you want!

-
Back