Cowl repair start

-

Patch

Patch
Reaction score
Well.....minimim body work skills....decent welding skills.....and some much less rusty parts on the way. Here's where it starts from.....Yes....my tetnus is up to date.....lol :)
Advice needed as to how to deal with the lead in the cowl patch area.....respirator and a propane torch? I know I dont want to cut through it with the cut-off wheel.....Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC07290.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 609
  • DSC07294.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 640
Propane torch will get the lead out quick,there is a weld under the lead you will need to cut or grind to get the top section off. I ended up drilling the spot welds and splitting the cowl to clean up both sections. I then used bed liner on the bottom half to prevent rust ever again (I Hope)

I'm still working one little area on the right corner and I will be able to weld it back together, I will be looking for help as it is very thin and hard for someone of limited skills such as my self to work.
What ever you do make sure it's that last time you will have to deal with it, this job sucked for me....
Joe

20678_1317179373829_1361076797_903580_187109_n.jpg

30914_1447870521026_1361076797_1209462_2281050_n.jpg

Just a question on this as I am going to have the same type repair. Is that a factory seam where the cowl meets the bottom of the A pillar or do you just pick a spot and cut? Thank you.

Just a question on this as I am going to have the same type repair. Is that a factory seam where the cowl meets the bottom of the A pillar or do you just pick a spot and cut? Thank you.

It's a factory seam, once you get the lead out (no pun intended) the seam will be visible.

Didnt have much time to work on it today, but I got the lead melted off on the passenger side and did a few more spot drills. Decided to cut a small section off to see what I'm looking at....it's not pretty at all......may be re-thinking the whole cowl section replacement versus patch panels.......ggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrr.............

Attachments

• DSC07300.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 487
  • DSC07313.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 510
  • DSC07319.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 511
Didnt have much time to work on it today, but I got the lead melted off on the passenger side and did a few more spot drills. Decided to cut a small section off to see what I'm looking at....it's not pretty at all......may be re-thinking the whole cowl section replacement versus patch panels.......ggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrr.............

There is a complete cowl from a 65 that looked really promising and fairly cheap on ebay the sale location was Alabama

May want to check it out for replacement sections. In my experience decent cowl sheet metal is hard to come by

Thanks....I wrote the guy and asked him about Greyhound to Wa. state....Thats a nice looking cowling.....Nice heads up!

Thanks....I wrote the guy and asked him about Greyhound to Wa. state....Thats a nice looking cowling.....Nice heads up!

Yeah, I was considering it for my top right corner issue but you need it way more than me figured I'd pass that find along. Hope it works for you.

We all start somewhere, this was mine
5649_1202615509804_1361076797_580460_1863685_n.jpg

6129_1194223380006_1361076797_549855_572186_n.jpg

Completely rebuilt corner from scratch, there is alot of ford sheet metal in thefre...HA HA, thanks to my friends daughter who likes to run into things.....I'm the recipent of lots of donor sheetmetal
30914_1447870881035_1361076797_1209468_2909005_n.jpg

Man, I love California! Yooper, What is exactly holding the mid section of that car up? Seems it would like to taco at any minute!

I'm in the same boat with ya.I cut mine open Sunday. I've been pretty much standing here looking at it every since. (with a dumb look on my face).My car must have sat on a hillside because the drivers side is waaay worse than the right side. Maybe I'll cover up the hole and open the wing vent when I need air.

Yeah...me too. I did get the lead out....he-he-he...yesterday, but now I have to pull the drivers fender off before I can go any further...and it's been hovering around 32 in my garage.....uugghh. Just waiting for the patches to show up before I cut too much more out of it as well...

Has anyone patched in a new style cowl vent opening? I keep thinking about one from a 89/90 Bronco II or Ranger since they have pencil sized holes that wont allow leaves to build up inside the cowl.

I dunno...but that sounds like a very good idea! Hmmmmm.......everybody and their damned ideas....lol. I think that would look slick too.....

Man, I love California! Yooper, What is exactly holding the mid section of that car up? Seems it would like to taco at any minute!

Ha, yeah....it was pretty light nothing bad happened. Its all together now, I need to get a couple pics up in my album to update.

Has anyone patched in a new style cowl vent opening? I keep thinking about one from a 89/90 Bronco II or Ranger since they have pencil sized holes that wont allow leaves to build up inside the cowl.

I had considered trying that. My jeep wrangler has a nice set up like that but I'll probably just leave mine the way it is. I'm pretty sure mine will be in the garage if it isn't being driven or at a show.

Did it look like this?

Yeah but the underside has an attached screen that prevents anything from falling down in there. I had the cowl off a friends last week to run the wiring for his windshied frame mounted off road lights. I liked the way jeep did it but it was to small to work on my 66. someone probably makes a longer one that would cover the grill on our a bodys.

Well.....couldnt leave well enough alone......cut into the drivers side today. I'm gonna need a hug....a NEW tetnus shot......and a cowl...a whole cowl. However.....i guess it'll be done correctly....or as close as possible with me doing it...:)

Attachments

• DSC07369.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 310
  • DSC07370.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 336
  • DSC07376.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 327
  • DSC07388.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 313
I think I saw cowl replacement bowls or whatever they are called for mustangs years ago...look up a 66 mustang and I think they may be metal too. Should be the same size from what I heard.

-
Back