Cowl repair

-

bbeep71

Reaction score
Under the cowl where the heater boxes install under the dash there are some small rust holes. How can I fix these holes without welding patches from inside the car?? The car is a 66 Cuda.
Thanks

I'm doing the right and left side cowl. I had to cut "windows" in the outer cowl, then cut out the areas in the "inner". I'm welding in new "collar" sections. Its a big big crappy job.

Small holes, means the rot is much bigger than the hole. a quick temp fix is to use asphalt roof sealant (from a caulk tube) and seal it from underneath. You'll still have to drop the heater box and vent box to do it.

Once sealed from underneath; make sure you clean out the cowl as much as possible with compress air, vacuum and whatever else you can think of. You can then pour some gastank sealant into the cowl slits, and hope that seals the topsides of the pinholes. I've never done it, but considered it before doing the big cut job.

good luck. BTW: my work is on a 65. But the only real way to fix it is to cut it out.

Under the cowl where the heater boxes install under the dash there are some small rust holes. How can I fix these holes without welding patches from inside the car?? The car is a 66 Cuda.
Thanks

I feel your pain! I'm working this issue on a 66 cuda as we speak. there isnt really a good way of going about it. I agree with Swing69 things are more pitted and rusted than what your seeing. I've got my cowl removed / split and have 3 different cowl sections and trying to piece one good one together. I dont know......... Waggin, may have a few more replacement sections, he sold me a pretty decent cowl a little while back.

If your just looking to try to get the pin holes covered if its possible to scuff or sand the affected area (from the inside of the cowl) , JB weld it & POR 15 over that may bond well enough to seal it up although it probably wouldnt last forever.
Joe

POR 15 has a product called PORPATCH that is POR 15 in a tube. It is great for sealing small pin holes and can be sanded and painted.

Thanks for the info. I thought My 65 barracuda was the only one with that problem. Glad to find I'm not.
I can't believe the areas where rust apears on a solid looking car. I pulled the 3 piece trim behind the rear window to prepair to paint and found a 2 in. rust through that I also have to repair.
A older gentlemen I met had told me to use the roofers asphalt and gutter material or alluminum to patch a small area in the floor. I have totally stripped the interior to look for any other areas that need help.
thanks again

You are not alone!

Mine is rusted out on both sides where the vent boxes are, the whole "ring" where the heater box mounts is gone. It's also rotted out where the fenders meet the cowl from the top down and there is virtually no metal left behind the plates that the hood springs/torsion bars mount. :(

I'm have a feeling I'm going to end up replacing mine a few times, because I've yet to find an entire inner and outer cowl; I pretty much need the whole thing. I need to fix it somehow before the floors rot out again.

I figure the first time around I'm going to lap weld patches and totally seal off the cowl from the inside around and not install the factory heater box stuff but instead go with a Mojave compact heater. That should last for a few years until I can afford to take it to someone brave enough to cut the outside off and fix it the right way.

I'm sure I can handle the cowl bottom, my issues is the sheet metal on the ends of the cowl top. I'm not to brilliant in the sheet metal dept and I'm not sure how to go about working the metal that needs to be replaced when the ends are concerned due to the compound curves.

I've already welded a full replacement floor after having it blasted and coated.
trunk pan, extensions....lower quarters, doors......the list is long! I'll have replaced probably 80% + on the car by the time its completed.
there are a few pictures in my gallery
Joe

Hi yooper822,
If you could post some pictures on how you have your cowl dis-assembled it would really show what's needed to do.
Thanks

I'm a little late on getting these pics up but it will illustrate what my situation is and may give you some insight on yours. My plan at this point is to have the lower cowl lightly blasted. Once done I'll be welding the sections together and adding some new sheet metal in the thin areas and then once the lower section is welded back on the car I'll be rolling it with bed liner. My thinking on this is it wont be seen and if done with proper prep will never be an issue on this car again! I'm still unsure about the upper section. I've got a few sections to work with but its going to be a handful I think. This is by and far the worst part of this car as good pieces are few and far between!
Joe
l_0248aeabffc84ca380fab30f42d0ec11.jpg

l_44c9bfadf88f4877b672419a8383b781.jpg

l_b8a3d58c2ba5456dbf3b577be4a5d64c.jpg

l_1992ff192630457bb214169e0f7eda21.jpg

l_ab4aaf72ee034cef9c04cd4aa7732a39.jpg

l_604ee278875f4b1c945ee6346e6f64ff.jpg

l_70aa66e41f3e4909bb021eaadd348cde.jpg

l_d9495ec5423e4c9019712c48399cf82e.jpg

That's quite the project. Thanks for the pictures. My cuda is the same color as yours. Love that light blue.
Thanks8)

the only way to get rid of rust completley is to sandblast the affected areas this will also show you how bad things really are .or cut out the bad sections and weld in new or donor pieces por15 is great but only temporary and if you have gone this far already than go the whole way especially if you plan on keeping the car for along time believe me i have seen my share of rusty cars and replacing metal is far superior to temp fixes.hope this helps

Is the back of the car missing as well?

Yup, I cut the trunk out of it, have a perfect pan going in as well as a modified set of laysons extensions. trying to work front to back. Floor has been replaced as well.

There are other options to blasting, I have been using a product called safest rust remover. for the thin more delicate pieces I highly recommend it but its pricey!

Joe

-
Back