Cowl Vent? How to clean

-

dusted72

Thanks Hemiroid!!!!
Reaction score
I was wandering the best way to clean out the cowl vent on my Duster. It is full of pine needles and leaves.

High pressure garden hose will move the debrie out the drains and down the A pillar The next drain is below the fender. There are 2 body bolts with some amount of spacer washers under the fender. You may need to remove those and pull out on the fender a little to flush it completely. If you look through the hood hindge openings and in the door jamb you can see some of whats going where.

I went thru the fresh air/heater boxes on mine.Took a vacum cleaner hose and wiggled it thru plus a little air blowing thru the cowl helped.Mine cleaned really well.The smaller the vacum cleaner hose the better off you are....
Good Luck.....

I Cleaned Mine With Shop Vac And 1" Pvc 90 On End And Now I Have Vents Covered With Rubber Magnets To Keep Oak Blooms And Leaves Out. They Dont Blow Off While Driving

My Dart had been sitting outside for a few years before I got to it. I went ahead and used a 1 1/2 hole saw to cut a hole and used body plugs from the boneyard to seal them. Got them nice and clean. Don't drill too low or you will have to patch a small hole in the metal behind it (yes, I did this on the first one. a little JB weld fixed it just fine). BTW, the Blue Oak leaves around here don't crumble easily, even when dry, so it was the only way to get them out.

S7300317.jpg

My Dart had been sitting outside for a few years before I got to it. I went ahead and used a 1 1/2 hole saw to cut a hole and used body plugs from the boneyard to seal them. Got them nice and clean. Don't drill too low or you will have to patch a small hole in the metal behind it (yes, I did this on the first one. a little JB weld fixed it just fine). BTW, the Blue Oak leaves around here don't crumble easily, even when dry, so it was the only way to get them out.
That is a great Idea......I used a garden hose and air like the rest....

Not to hijack this thread but I think this thread is done any way. I have a question about a mod I did. I took out my heater and cut the vent box off. Then I scrued the one side to the cowl. I was not thinking when I did this. Now I have a leak from around the scrues. Any one know how I could seal them but still be able to take them in and out?

Thanks for your help guys.
Russell

DartVentBox.jpg

1: Open footwell vents.

2: Drive fast.

3: Vacuum floor.

Passenger optional.

Yeah that will definitely work!

I opened the vents in the summer before I left out at the house so some air could circulate.... I got out in the open stretch of road and nailed it... it wasn't long I had a face full of dust and dirt and leafs blowing all through the car!

How does leafs get in there and dirt but does not leak?

Yeah that will definitely work!

I opened the vents in the summer before I left out at the house so some air could circulate.... I got out in the open stretch of road and nailed it... it wasn't long I had a face full of dust and dirt and leafs blowing all through the car!

How does leafs get in there and dirt but does not leak?

When I put my Valiant back on the road a few months ago I was driving it with my moms BF who knows nothing about old cars. Well we're going down the road and this ticking/vibrating sound comes from the passenger side firewall area. He started freaking out damn near climbing into the back seat, screaming "IS IT GOING TO BLOW UP!!? WTF IS THAT!" it was a stick that was caught in the fresh air vent and at about 40mph the air movement caused it to vibrate. I kicked it up a little faster and it blew free but I almost had to pull over because I was laughing so hard.

Not to hijack this thread but I think this thread is done any way. I have a question about a mod I did. I took out my heater and cut the vent box off. Then I scrued the one side to the cowl. I was not thinking when I did this. Now I have a leak from around the scrues. Any one know how I could seal them but still be able to take them in and out?

Thanks for your help guys.
Russell

rubber washer and plumbers tape, maybe IDK just thinking out loud.

yeaterday i spent about an hour cleaning out my cowl. when i pulled the plugs the holes were filled to the tops with leafes and dirt. when i opened the vent doors they were full also. both sides were also loose. when i tried to tighten the bolt that holds the fresh air vents to the cowl the bolt brroke. that was the point where i decided i had enough with these vents. every early a body i have had these have been a problem. so i took them out. this means i wont have a heater also. but its not going to be a daily driver, so its ok. i plan on cutting out the cowl from underneith so i can fix rust. then weld up the fresh air holes and weld the panel back in place.

-
Back